Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

What I've Been Doing

Early last week was pretty boring haha. So much so that I can't even remember what I did. I probably did nothing but read, listen to music, and try to restart my writing. I have what seems to be a semi-regular case of writers block. Until college I had always considered writing probablky my number one hobby. I wrote poems, short stories, tried beginning my first novel, and in my senior year school I wrote a play.

Then Tuesday I took a little road trip up to Philly. My friends were busy until late so I had to find ways to amuse myself. I went to this SaladWorks which wasn't far from the station where I'd interviewed the week before. I ate there so I could freeload off the WiFi. For breakfast I had a banging suasage, egg, and cheese panini, a hashrown, a coffee, and H20. For lunch I had a delish Mandarian Chicken wrap.

Then I walked around downtown. I stopped by a mall and people watched. Then I sat in this great park which I don't know the name of. It was just a nice break. It had been hot all day but by then it had cooled off so I sat and read my latest pleasure reading book.

Then it was on to the main event which was a screening of "Sex in the City".
A friend of mine in the journo industry got me on the invite list. That was coo. I've never seen a complete epsiode of "Sex in the City" but still I didn't feel as if I was in the dark. The movie was pretty good I agree pretty much with J's review.

After the movie my two friends and two of their friends went and grabbed a bite and a drink at a pool bar a few blocks from the theatre in Olde City which is a nice neighborhood, where a lot of Philly's nightlife goes down. I also had a banging quesadilla and my big sister A whose goal in life is to get me to drink beer, got me a Blue Moon. I was the token guy but it was fun.

After we all parted I got dropped off and took the bus back to med school best friend's house. He probably was none too pleased because I woke him up to navigate me back to his pad. He was impressed that I had managed to walk in the right direction and didn't get mugged at 1 A.M. Almost as soon as we got back to his house I went to bed.

The next morning best friend had an early class. So I walked with him to school and then hopped a trolley to the train station. There I caught up on work confirmed two job interviews for next week. Though that's a story for another day. One's in the journalism industry and one's not. The latter is actually more promising, go figure. Halfway through the day I met up with Matt a fellow intern from the station last summer whose from the Philly area. Matt is now a print reporter for a community newspaper in his hometown. He went from freelancer to full-time in a matter of months. Our other roomie Zach works at a station in St. Louis. So it's cool that we all keep in touch.

Later that afternoon I took the train back to Bmore. I love taking the train places it makes me feel like an urban sophisticate, but no I really love east coast living. I'm accessible to my Philly friends, my D.C. friends, and plan to start making a more concerted effort to connect with my NYC friends.

Thursday I chillaxed went downtown for a bit. Then I made it out to the high school alma mater for a cookout with some of the black students, their parents, and black faculty and staff. That was cool because it allowed me to connect with some folks I hadn't seen in a while.

Friday I chillaxed caught up on mail and bills. Thank God I only have a few of those right now.

Today was a wash because it rained though it's since stopped. I'm not convinced if I went somewhere right now I wouldn't fall victim to some bad weather.

As far as the rest of the weekend I don't know what that holds.

But all in all I can't complain. I'm frustrated that I don't have a job and haven't started my career, but people remind me I have the rest of my life to work.

The time off is giving me time to read, read, read. Last week I finished Charlayne Hunter-Gault's "In My Place" and this week Rebecca Walker's "Black, White,& Jewish". I liked and would recommend both. Walker's story was especially interesting given this recent essay which she also wrote, thanks to Veronica for pointing me in its direction.

Maybe one of my next posts will be a draft of a story ;-)

Peace for now.

2 Comments:

At 5:13 PM , Blogger shani-o said...

Is it bad that the thing I got most excited about in your post was Blue Moon? Yum!

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger CNEL said...

LoL it excites my adopted big sis so much that when I have a beer she cheers.
They aiight I just got to learn to down them quicker.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home