Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Perception vs. Reality, Intentional vs. Unintentional Acts

Currently Watching: "The Inkwell"

So, I spent the last six days or so in New England at a diversity conference. So yes in case you were wondering the trip was about more than free food and free booze. I chose to highlight those things because at the time a) I didn't have time to get all deep, b) I really did enjoy not eating through use of my meal plan, c)I do enjoy a good drink every now and again.

Now however I'm ready to get deep.

I first got "involved" with diversity back as a sophomore year in high school. In reality though I have always been involved with diversity, because I've always been different. My mother says to me now that I am a contrarian. She says, "You always tell me what people are doing and then you tell me what you're not going to do." That's could be a good or a bad thing but in reality independence, confidence, and the ability to be self-challenging are very important.

A lot of the talks over the course of the week revolved around the notion of perception versus reality. Perception - what is thought to be true, but not necessarily true. Reality- what is thought to be true because it has been proven true.

Then we talked about language. In order to really talk about diversity it's important that important things don't go unsaid. The things that go unsaid sometimes hold as much if not more power than the things which have been said.

For me experiences like the conference are liberating. Though I'm still not completely able to suspend judgment I understand why it's necessary to get over judging, and while it is sometimes a problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home