Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Almost Time to Bid Farewell

So in a few weeks I will stop working as an After Care Counselor.

I've been at the school since the day after I started my sophomore year of college. Fingers crossed I graduate in May.

Until now, I didn't realize I would miss my little rugrats. I didn't realize I'd miss some of the co-workers. There's a few that need me to say peace out to them before I hurt their feelings.

At the school I have a reputation. Quite frankly I'm the "resident hard ass" everyone knows I'm firm but fair, though most kids also say I'm a big teddy bear. My boss knows, parents know, the kids know I keep control. It's funny because a lot of kids avoid me because they see me as the disciplinarian but when they need someone they run to me too. It's kind of funny.

I smile at the thought of the parents who have approached me in the last few months to say:

"My daughter loves you."

"My kids are always talking about you, they always say your whole name "C NEL"."


It's a step up from my first year when a few kids asked their parents if I could come over for play dates? Umm you see me from 3 to 6 three days a week, alright. Thanks.

Then the other day I was so flattered by the little tikes. On Friday morning I worked some OT. I don't get up until 11 normally but had a 7 a.m. wake up call to go help with the 2 and 3 year olds.

Before my day was done a little 3 1/2 year old had said to me,

"Chris, I like your pants."

"Thanks Sarai," I said.

"Your pants are beautiful," she then said.


Then there was 2 1/2 year old Zachary. He's the smallest one there but he has a lot of heart. The kid knows no boundaries until I tell him. But apparently he liked me cause he would come climb on me and sit on my lap and be still if only for a few minutes.

When I left for the day he screamed out to get my attention, when I walked back over he wanted a hug.

I smiled for the rest of the day.

They were definitely more exciting than my 1 p.m. politics class.

Then I'll miss my boss who is so chill. Hence our random e-mail exchanges:


Boss Lady:“You can definitely use me as a reference (despite your questionable behavior yesterday!). I think you'll do a great job whatever you decide to do (unless it is working with women, in which case you may need some therapy to rid you of your aggression towards women. Haha.”


Me:“I don't think I need therapy just to not have a crush on a co-worker
LoL. There was really one "insert colorful adjective" in the room.
Generally speaking however using "colorful language" allows me to get
over them, and they sure as heck quickly get over me.”


Boss Lady:“You're funny. Do you need me to play matchmaker and get you a date? I've been know to fix people up - two people I fixed up are getting married this summer... they met at my wedding!”


Me: (In My Head)
PUMP THE BRAKES. I’M ANTI-MARRIAGE OR ME ANTI-MARRIAGE FOR ME. ONE OF MY FRIENDS ALREADY TOLD ME TO PUT 11-11-11 ON MY CALENDAR AND TO GET A G/F BY THEN CAUSE I’D NEED A DATE TO HER WEDDING. I CAN DO THAT.
THEN A CO-WORKER GOT ENGAGED ON WEDNESDAY. SHE’S A SENIOR TOO. I WAS TOO HAPPY FOR HER TO TELL HER TO STOP PUTTING PRESSURE ON THOSE LIKE ME, WHO ARE ALSO SENIORS.


Me:“So like Anna's a senior and she got engaged?
I'm like am I behind the 8 ball.
Yea I kind of have a crush on Alexis, but it's one of those love-hate
things.
LoL.
I don't know maybe something will pop off before May. HaHa”


Boss Lady:“Yep you are behind the 8 ball. You'd better get your butt in gear if you ever want to be married. The window is closing fast...hahaha. Alexis Nelson. I like the sound of it. :)”


Me:“LoL geez I'm only 21, for now I like window shopping.
Haha. Alexis Nelson never put the two together.”


Boss Lady:“window shopping. i like that.”



We have a few mutual friends cause for some reason I have older friends haha. Like for real why are all my friends younger than me or older than me?

3 Comments:

At 2:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to see you interact with kids O the Joy I would have, I can see you now!! and did I get a hint of you not wanting to get married...well check out my page i got something for you!!

 
At 4:02 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

older or younger. what else would they be? your age? its all relative. age doesn't matter the older you get. i realized there's a 75 yo man at my job that i call by a nickname. it feels quite odd. looove the kid telling you your pants are beautiful. adorable. and her name is fab. and AIN'T NO FINGERS CROSSED! you know you're graduating. quit actin up.

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger La said...

aww how cute are you! When I was still in high school I worked at a dance studio with younger kids and they get so attatched because they know genuine people when they meet them. Kids are great judges of character. And I got just as attatched to them. To this day I still think about my favorites from time to time and wonder how they are doing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home