Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Parallels: "The First Lady" = "Ms. Independent"



Whenever I see President Obama and the First Lady together I always think of Mrs. Obama as "the woman beside the man." The woman who stands comfortably beside her man.

I seriously resent the expression, "woman behind the man", not because for generations so many exemplary women haven't indeed propelled their men forward, but they've in many cases stood beside them fighting the same battles. I can't help but think of Coretta Scott King, Myrlie Evers-Williams, and Betty Shabazz. These women were themselves "working women", and civil rights leaders in their own right.

I think too of my grandparents who were married 32 years and together 46 (I should say they were married longer just to other people lol and couldn't get married until they could afford divorces). I think back to my grandparents as partners and having role sharing responsibilities. They each had their domain, and though their marriage was not without their challenges they raised 13 children together.

Reflecting on their relationship, reminds me of the need for young people especially my generation to have healthy relationships modelled for them. In my mind when we got a new First Couple, we got the ultimate role models. Successful in attaining high levels of education, successful in establishing their own successful careers, and successful in raising a beautiful family.

I think for a lot of men my age who aspire to have success with regards to numerous measures: education, career, financial independence, regard in the community, they'll understand that having "the woman beside the man" helps one to achieve all of that.

I think for many young men my age in a sense Michelle Obama serves as "the prototype". Beautiful, intelligent, gracious, compassionate, loyal, geniune, and giving, a devoted wife and mother whose accomplished in her own right. Every man needs a multitasker a woman who can do for him, do for her, and do for theirs.

Michelle Obama is the definite upgrade, she is "Ms. Independent", "She Got Her Own" and she might just be the original "Scholarship Chick".

Got all the goods to make a man aspire, shoot perspire, to make him work to reach his highest level.

Untapped potential does one no good.

So this may be my signal to look for my own Michelle, look for the "prototype".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home