Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Friday, June 29, 2007

"Harvard Girl" A Story In Multiple Parts Pt. 2

It all began way back in 2002.

I was about to begin my junior year of high school. She was about to begin her freshman year.

The day we met was September 2, 2002.

It was significant because it marked the day I moved on campus for yet another year of prep school. It's so funny because every year I said wasn't coming back and every year I did.

Every year I encountered some sort of surprise.

Looking back my time wasn't really that bad, in fact more often than not it was great.

That day I remembered I walked over to the girl's dorm to check in, and to get my keys.
Standing there was this petitie, young, fresh faced girl and her mother. I didn't think much of her except to say hi. Later, when they drove past me I smiled and I waved.

The next day school started, and we went about our business. I'd see her at breakfast, occasionally lunch, and then I'd see her again at dinner.
We had many of the same friends because at our school the black kids hung tight. I was also Vice President/ Secretary of the Black Awareness Club (Black Student Association). By semester's end our President was busy trying to be too much like Bill Clinton while he was in office, if you know what I mean. I ended up de facto President so it was my job to know or know of all the African-American students.

"Harvard Girl" as she is now known was quiet. She was reserved. She was focused. She was driven. She was about her business. Everyone liked her, but few of us really knew her. I knew that she was only 13 when she came to high school, because she had been skipped. I knew that she was of Nigerian parentage. I would learn that I had gone to school with one of her older brothers. I would learn that I had applied to middle school with another one of her brothers.

As time passed I came to see her as gorgeous her skin the color of a darker chocolate, her eyes someone once said were "chinky", she had full cheeks, a sweet voice, and an amusing laugh.

Her work ethic, her drive, and her passion were ALWAYS on display. When we had the rare opportunity to talk you could tell that she had a maturity beyond her 13 years, that she respected herself, that she loved her family, that she was spiritual, and that she was loyal to friends.

Still there wasn't a connection, it was if she were afraid to let anyone in. The more I came to see, the less I felt as though she wanted anyone in. There was something that maybe she wasn't necessarily hiding, but that no one was seeing. For all intents and purposes, she was a mystery to me. Yet, I was drawn to her. I wanted in even more than before.

There was a challenge before me. I didn't want to wear her down. I just wanted her to let me in.
To be continued...

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home