Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Monday, January 08, 2007

There Are Times

(Note: Click on the title of this entry to hear one of my fave stories. It was the first story I recorded, wrote, and edited. It's also one of the stories which allowed me to do the workshop with NPR.)

Robyne (8:11:47 PM): hm, speaking of overacheiving, where do you see yourself in 10 years?
stormyc14 (8:12:10 PM): lol haha where'd that come from?!
Robyne (8:13:01 PM): I'm contemplating where I see myself in 10 years
stormyc14 (8:16:25 PM): lol mmm k let's see 10 yrs from now i will be 30 about to be 31 i will have done one of the following
1) if i stick with journalism i will have either become an producer for either a top 25 market....be reporting in a top 50 market....or be working at the network level........
2) if i pursue education i'll likely be working as an admissions officer or diversity officer at a prep school or college.....
3) and if neither of those i will have applied to law school gotten in somewhere and will likely have a law degree and be working for a non profit.....
i will no matter what the job likely be single....living on the east coast..........travelling as much as possible for pleasure and to visit family and friends
Robyne (8:18:16 PM): ooo eternal bachelor
Robyne (8:19:55 PM): hm so many career choices
Robyne (8:20:04 PM): when do you think you'll have to pick one
stormyc14 (8:20:09 PM): lol before may 2008 haha
Robyne (8:20:23 PM): so jury is still out?
stormyc14 (8:21:00 PM): basically it may depend on if i intern this summer and where
Robyne(8:21:20 PM): what do you like more?
stormyc14 (8:21:36 PM): lol i could honestly see myself doing any of the above

Where will I be in a week, next year? I don't know, so I can't possibly imagine where I'll be ten years from now. I guess it depends on how bad I want whatever I set my mind to do. How bad do I want it? That will be the question.

There are times when it seems like I'm making a difference, and there are times when I feel like I'm doing too much for nothing.

Waking up at 7:15 this morning was way before I planned, especially given the fact I didn't go to bed until sometime after 3:00 am. I guess I was excited for my interview. I had been slated to conduct a phone interview this morning. My school is hosting a symposium to discuss the life and work of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. In addition the symposium will address the state of urban education, and how to bring about social justice in the near future. My job is to interview the two keynote speakers to be featured at next week's symposium. We'll air the interviews and put them on the station website. Well I have one interview down, and another one was slated for this morning. It didn't happen though I prepared my questions last night and went in an hour ahead of time. Now I'm a little ticked at all the effort I put in, for nothing.

Well I'm off to babysit some kids. Ummmm the joys of being an extended day counselor. Got to love it, right?!

8 Comments:

At 11:54 PM , Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

I couldnt have even DREAMED of most of shit I've gotten into in the past 10 years! But my money is on you going the edu route. ;)

 
At 2:19 AM , Blogger The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

The older you get the harder it becomes to stay real with what it is you *love* to do vs. what you *have* to do.

Unless of course you manage to merge the two. Then you sort of win and the acquistion of $$ becomes *less* important but simultaneously more ........urgent.

But-- Poverty breeds a certain honesty that a rich man will never possess.

and stuff.


the very.

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger Chris said...

in 10 years, I'll be going on 36. Good lord. Thanks for the wake-up call, young blood. Sheesh. Hopefully I'll have begun or at least be a couple of years deep into an NFL/MLB/NBA beat and married with at least one kid. The former seems more likely than the latter.

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

it wasn't for nothing. that's how it happens in the real world too. sources flake out. producing in top 25 market, reporting in a top 50 market should be your 5 year goal. very attainable.

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

oh yeah and why can't you have that stuff AND romantic happiness?

 
At 9:55 PM , Blogger CNEL said...

Umm didn't say I couldn't have it, really a question of do I want it.

CNEL does not desire to be married.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

why not?

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger Robyne said...

I'm flattered that I have inspired deep contemplation. And I am no closer to answering that question myself. I'm at the I WANT...stage and then checking it with the IS IT LOGICAL stage. The answer is "maybe, if and only if"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home