Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Complexity of the Music, Complexity of the Human Heart

So earlier tonight I had a debate with a friend whose a few years younger about what classifies good music. I had to say that many of today's "singers" do not always classify as true "artists", cause some of what I hear on the radio is not "good music". I so felt what my mother used to always tell my sister and I, "Ya'll don't know what good music sounds like. " In my mind I could so see her doing her face all funny, listening to the music, snapping her fingers, and starting to step. Apparently my mother could dance in her day, she likes to remind me, and threaten to show me at the next family function.

So after being disgusted when told who some good "artists" were I threw in the Jill Scott and came across what I feel is one of Jill Scott's best songs "Cross My Mind"

Part of the song goes:

"I was just thinking about you, wondering what you doing I mean what you've been up to
I know its wrong feeling this strong let me take a second minute I will think this thing through

I was just thinking about you, wondering what you doing I mean what you've been up to
I know its wrong feeling this strong let me take a second minute I will think this thing through"

This song resonated with me a few years back and even today, especially today. I get a facebook message from a young fellow, who is feenin for one of my friends. I don't know him, but he knows I know her very well. I guess I seemed like a geniune enough person to bounce his frustrations off of, and so I entertained him. Said young man could definitely relate to this song, cause my girl is running through his mind. She is definitely not interested, and definitely needs to tell him. So he can a) move on which is the healthiest thing for him b) leave her alone c) stop being made fun of by her friends, cause they clown him terribly.

I don't know why sometimes we grab onto, hold onto the idea that there is this one person who can in our minds right all the world's wrongs. I don't understand how it is that they not believe they can be our cure all, our save all. I don't know why there isn't all the time this unified vision on the part of two people. Well I guess there is, and those people end up united. But why is it so damn difficult for others of us? Hmm so I wonder.

1 Comments:

At 2:12 PM , Blogger The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

There will always be good artists out there. There are tons right now. Its the accessibility to them that varies from time to time. Generally speaking $$ = the ability for an artist to become accessible (and by that i mean, you, as a consumer, know about them). So where ever that $$ is being thrown by the evil banks called "record companies" is what is considered popular. For most popular=good. Jill Scott is a gem that slipped thru the cracks of the Machine and we are all better for it.

the very

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home