Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

My First Convention

Currently Listening to: Mixtapes via AOL Radio

Currently Feeling: Contemplative

Currently Eating/Drinking: Mango Mania Mistic (reminds me of my grandmother), Fruit Salad, and Strawberry Glazed Donut (trying to make it well-balanced LoL)

So I think I'm probably one of the only people alive who delights in reading the airline magazines, but I think that some of them are quite good. Air France's and Southwest's are very good IMO.

Eric Celeste of Southwest Airlines Magazine wrote in the most recent issue about his preparing for an upcoming high school reunion. I for one think that what he says can apply to college as well.

"Who am I kidding? Do any of us ever really get over high school? Completely? It's the most impressionable time in our life... Every romance is forever, every bad grade a guarantee of a career opportunity lost, every parting a heart-crushing blow from which you will never recover."

That was definite food for thought. So many times it seems that we want to give up our past, so that we have a future. I for one don't think that completely necessary.

I say hold on to that which was good to you, cause it might just be good for you. It's okay to look back, so long as you don't allow something to hold you back or hinder you!

So on to other things like a debrief about Indy:

I've dubbed this year my travelling year because I've vowed to explore more of the world in which I live. As people often feel the need to remind me college is supposed to be one of the most liberating times of your life. So I'm branching out it started with Italy in June, then Indy last week.

Student Meeting: We had a pretty good turnout. I think it went okay, but it could have gone a lot better. Mashaun whose the student rep I think got bogged down with questions, because students don't have enough time to have their questions answered on a regular basis. Something that stood out to me, there needs to be more attention paid to the concerns of students. It's great that we get to be with the professionals, but I still feel we need to address student issues apart from professional issues. I hope to be able to organize some quality programming for my region in the next few months.

Other Sessions: Some of the sessions I went to were great such as "The Blogger Buzz", "How to Land Your Dream Job Before You're 30", "Leaving the General Store". The first workshop talked about how to effectively utilize blogs. The second one allowed young up and comers to here from three successful young black journalists. The third workshop focused on TV reporters and the need to develop a specialty or a niche such as weather reporting, breaking news reporting, health reporting, technology reporting, or something along those lines to allow that reporter to become even more invaluable. There were also panels where entrepreneurs talked about black media ownernship, a panel about Hurricane Katrina which New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin attended.

Networking: It was a great chance to network and meet some interesting people. I definitely have some great people with whom I can now talk about life, careers, and the media industry.

Parties: There were mad parties which were very interesting. Too bad I'm a yougin, oh well LoL.

Other Events: There were some nice other events such as a Gospel Brunch, the Salute to Excellence Awards Gala, an advanced screening of Idlewild go see it this Friday, a preview of Dreamgirls go see that in December, and some other stuff.

I'm excited for Las Vegas next year. Let me start saving now.

Next stop on my travel schedule Seattle to serve on the faculty of a diversity leadership conference.

3 Comments:

At 10:42 AM , Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

When do you turn 21? Well...it was glad to see you in Indy...Vegas will one for the ages...

 
At 11:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I turn 21 on 7-8-07. I know 11 months off, mmmm but I was a premie so in actuality I got a bit of a headstart.

 
At 8:01 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

be glad you'll be 21 in vegas. whoo!! you will be drinking if i'm around. grab ya cup now.\

i hate h.s. i didn't then b/c i was always well-known, but the moment i got to hu and fell in love w/it it was like peace out biotches!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home