Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

“Their Eyes Were Watching” CNEL…

And we’re off three days into a new week if you think of Sunday as the official start of the new week. Life is good. I just turned 20, and I feel good about it. This summer is however moving somewhat quickly. I still can’t believe I spent a month in Italy, and am already nearly two weeks into the summer gig. My time in Italy was however just enough time for me to enjoy it, accomplish some things, and look forward to another opportunity abroad.

Lately we’ve been getting these e-mails about a study abroad opportunity in Ghana. I didn’t really think much of the e-mails, because we receive a gazillion throughout the year. It wasn’t until some of our brothers and sisters of a lighter hue spoke about the program with some enthusiasm that I even gave it a second thought. Having just been exposed to the pleasure and pain of international travel, I can’t tell if considering the program is a desire or an urge. While in Italy I spoke with an instructor who had visited Africa and spent time in Senegal. Her experience came in handy as I headed to a nearby beach town and almost got took by a street vendor. I also spoke with a student who had visited South Africa, and she spoke highly of the trip. I was all for the possibility of applying until I went to Loyola’s International Programs website and read once you submit an application, and a study abroad deposit you are damn near married to the program even if eventually you aren’t accepted. That my friends is unacceptable. Even if you’re unsure of your selection for the program you cannot register for classes, or regiser for housing. Since this program would take place in the spring, I’d give up the housing I’m already guaranteed for the fall. While I’m now more willing to step out of my comfort zone, I don’t think I’m that willing to step away from reason. I cannot live at home. I went to boarding school for goodness sake, and have lived on campus at LoCo for the past two years. I would not do well if forced to live at home, it’s just not happening.

So I guess that means get your head out of the clouds and focus on the tasks at hand.

At work I began the summer by reviewing account information for several of our member jurisdictions. I work for a state Authority which consults with different jurisdictions (cities and counties) about public works needs primarily waste disposal needs. I have the task of being their public relations and communications ace. Each summer I get assigned different tasks from reviewing communications tools, writing and proofreading, to event planning. This summer I am apparently on the up and up. When I first came to work this summer our administrative assistant who knows all and is all, told me I’d be working with the big boss. Before I got to the big boss, my direct supervisor had a task for me to complete. It seems some funds may have inadvertently been misappropriated, and there may be possible litigation. What does this mean? Some six figure amount may have been inadvertently dispensed to the wrong party. What more does this mean? Possible litigation to recover the misappropriated funds.. What does this mean for me? I spent days perusing account statements looking for certain transactions which could have or have not taken place. Uh! Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a fan of math. As I often say the only numbers which I am a fan of, appear on my paycheck.

On Friday I was given a task which I think will actually both stimulate and challenge me. The big boss came and had a sit down with me on Friday. She discussed with me how it had been proposed to build two waste to energy facilities in two Maryland counties. (Waste to energy facilities turn the trash that you and I produce into usable energy!). There is some opposition to the plan, and the counties want some sort of communications tool to educate people about why the WTE facilities would be a good idea. They think possibly a video for use on their local public access stations might due the trick. Given that even President Bush and the federal government have gotten in trouble for VNR’s (video news releases), I know I’m walking a fine line. I’m still a journalist at the end of the day. So the powers that be want a video presentation, and I shall attempt to present one to them. All is fine with me because I’ve done some broadcast work in my time , but then there’s the possibility we can’t shoot new footage or do a new voiceover. Instead they want a slideshow with file video, not even a real slideshow maybe even a Powerpoint. I’m thinking ummm not going to work. Well not going to work and look decent, or more importantly credible. Instead I’m thinking of a multimedia approach involving a print article for web publication, a narrated slideshow (if I can get that done), and possibly a PowerPoint (uh dislike those) minus the video. I’d love to utilize video, I am broadcaster, but I don’t want any presentation to look totally amateurish or borderline unprofessional. If we find a way to get it done, fine, but if not we shall have to erect a new plan. Hopefully they’ll trust my judgement and allow me to get this done.

Oh and after the 9 to 5, I’m coming home to watch the Evening News, eat dinner, pop the feet up and read a book. Currently I’m reading “Sometimes Rhythm, Sometimes Blues” which was edited by Taigi Smith. I’ve also cracked open “Eats, Shoots, and Leaves” a book about something I loathe, that being grammar. Mmmm got to conquer those demons how we best know how. Right? Right.

-CNEL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home