Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Finito

I hope that this isn't at all premature, but a few
minutes ago I submitted my website template, which was
completed with much help from the web goddesses Cindy
H. and Afi S. They have been an amazing support
system, and amazing leaders. Cindy was my sponsor who
spent the big bucks getting me here. She also kept me
laughing with her stories, and renewed my interest in
learning about the founder of the Jesuit order St.
Ignatius of Loyola. Afi kept me humble and kept me
honest by reminding me of who I am, and whose I am.
She also kept me well fed through cooking "soul
gnocchi", her take on the classic Italian dish. The
soul sister from Cleveland was the bidness as we say.
Those two women were amazing and helped your boy CNEL
feel he could accomplish the impossible, and that is
complete all the modules (Intercultural Communication,
Photography, Storytelling, Videography, and Web Design
(and you can fit Italian Language and Culture in there
too).

Also big shot outs to Chris H. & Afi S. (again) for
helping me finish the print story suitable for online
publication.

Shot out to George M. for helping me take decent
looking photos. He helped me to realize that what is
said about photos having the power to accentuate a
story, and to also convey another story which is just
as important is a worthy pursuit.

Shot out to Dan G. for helping me complete the video.
He called me "the reporter who cried wolf" because I
said I was done five to ten times, and this was all
before he would actually accept my finished project as
acceptable. He gave me my hugest compliment when he
said to me, "You have learned a lot." It's good to
know that others say my commitment to this project,
and my intent to not just take something away, but
help add a certain sense of passion, and a sense of
professionalism to this program. Dan's comment however
helped me to realize that I have grown. He also
reminded me to become a little less combative because
journalism as an industry is the biggest doggone team
sport there is out there. I gave him hell, but it
worked out in the end. We helped each other on the up
and up. Someone always has to help you stay fresh.

I have learned so much, and I am still learning.

This experience has been very rewarding, and I know it
has helped me grow.

I have had more laughs than headaches though my heat
and stress induced migraines have been killer.

But I made it ya'll, I think. :-)

Tomorrow I will be heading to Urbino with fellow
students to be honored by the town's mayor and other
dignitaries.

Friday I will be packing up.

Saturday I may be headed for some last minute
work/sightseeing.

Monday I return to Rome and head back to the states.

If at any point I seemed ungrateful for this
opportunity, blame it on my being stressed and tired.
Any thing worth enduring is undoubtedly an experience
worth having. That cliche anything that doesn't kill
you makes you stronger is so true. Having the
opportunity to participate in an "international
reporting practicum", the opportunity to study abroad,
to work with charismatic students, and be mentored by
experienced and passionate mentors is what I needed at
this time in my life.

All the other stuff doesn't matter.

I have made a literal journey, and continued on that
figurative journey through life.

Can we say excited about what the future holds?

We'll talk again soon maybe before I depart for the
states, and maybe after.

But know that I appreciate you.

Thanks to all those who supported me emotionally,
financially, mentally, physically, professionally, and
spiritually.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ciao for now.

_CNEL

Cagli, Italy 6/22/06 1:55am

4 Comments:

At 12:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are going to take a trip to Italy that is fun. That way you can definitely take in the goodness that I have learned is Italy!!

 
At 11:40 AM , Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

Take your last days and enjoy the HELL out of them. Leave with no regrets and all intentions of returning.

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Jameil said...

yay!!!!!!!!!!!! that was fabulous! i told you you would look back on this w/fondness.

 
At 10:14 AM , Blogger Cleveland Urban Journalism Workshop said...

Wow, I stumbled upon this shout-out and it was a blessing on a rough day.

I just want to tell you how much I appreciated your support in Cagli. When I walked on that bus in Rome and saw you and Jasmin, I knew everything was going to be fine.

Sometimes, I think, black people forget how powerful and talented we are. We were standing in Italy. We didn't know the language or the culture, but we made a great impression on all the folks in Cagli. We became part of the town for a little while.

Ya did great Chris! You're definitely on your way.
(And I'm not saying that because you said my tea was the bomb diggity)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home