Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Indepedence Day

So on this Independence Day I decided to ponder that which we celebrate, that being independence.

I pay close attention in this particular entry to my independence as an individual.

So, last night I had a talk with one of the mentors. I called her to tell her that I'd make it back safely from the stay in Italy. I was a week late, because I couldn't find her cellie number. We talked about all things Christopher, and we know how much I love a captive audience! So we talked for about 35 minutes.

During the convo, she had to take another call.

Her: Hold on Chris.

Me: Ok.

Pause

Her: Ok, I'm back. Chris?

Me: Yes.

Her: That was my son, he's downtown with his little friend (said with a bit of exasperation).

Me: Oh, ok.

Her: Do you have a little friend?

Me: (Completely taken off guard). Ummm no. (Stuttering, sputtering, and all of the above.) I'm too busy to even look........I'm focused on school.......I'm focused on my career.

Yes, I said career. I'm all of 19 years, 11 months, and 27 days old.

As soon as I said that I thought to myself, "Self, we could have a problem."

Could it be I have a one track mind? Could it be I'm so focused on success, I'm prohibiting myself from being completely happy, content, and at peace with myself?

A few months ago a person who always tries to be my friend, but someone I really can't stand, spoke of this problem. She told me point blank, "Chris, I think you're sacrificing your personal life, sacrificing fun, for your so called professional life."

How in the heck can this happen? How can this happen given that so-called professional life really doesn't exist? For goodness sake I'm only about to be a junior in college. I do work, but only part-time. I do have obligations, but most are of my choosing. It could be I'm reading too much into the question of my singleness. I take my being unattached to be a true sign of my independence, and my desire to be happy with where I am, before engaging in helping someone else reach their ultimate level. I know it sounds like a cop out, but it's true.

I've been pondering how to celebrate the big birthday weekend and it was suggested that I find myself a nice young lady to spend the B-Day with, and then it was suggested that I have some type of gathering for the friends. I don't have time to do any planning for either. It's about to be a Red Robin/Hops/TGI Friday's and movies type weekend. I do want to get a cake, and pop the cork on a bottle of wine I brought back with me from Italy. Mmmm yum. I guess time will tell.

Oh and FYI C-Nel does accept cash, gift cards, gifts, phone calls, text messages, e-mails, blog comments, redeemable vouchers of support aka IOU's.

HaHa time for sleep the 6:30am wakeup call comes early.

-CNEL

5 Comments:

At 12:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As your best friend ever, I can see where you do kind of put your personal life on the back burner. You dont want to end up being the type of guy that says shoulda woulda coulda 10 years down the road. You do totally neglect that personal/romantic part of your life.

You should have a lil gathering. Dont do nothing big. Invite a few friends and we can all chill.

 
At 10:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for making it seem like I have no life Gary. You're the greatest, LOL.

-CNEL

 
At 2:40 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

so what? you're 20. barely. setting the stage now will set you up for a nice post-grad job. don't worry abt the personal life. i mean have fun, yes, but if you want to run stuff at the radio station, do it. are there really that many girls at loyola and in bmore who you would like to pursue something w/? i'm thinking no.

 
At 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jameil, dang get out of my head. HaHa cause I was thinking all of that plus some! Especially that last part "are there really that many girls at loyola and in bmore who you would like to pursue something w? i'm thinking no."

 
At 6:02 AM , Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

19....(exhales) those were the days..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home