Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I Find the Answer to My Restlessness

I often say “Great minds don’t get bored.”

My mother told me to reconsider that statement almost as soon as I made it, because she knew I was attempting to talk about myself. She is also aware of the fact that I don’t take naps, my mind runs as fast as my mouth, and she also knows that I only say half of what I am actually thinking. I only say half of what I am thinking, not because I have anything to hide ;-) , but more because there is so much on my mind.

It was so funny to me to read some of the comments left on my Facebook wall on my birthday. Many of the people wrote wishing me a happy birthday, but also telling me to take it easy and not to work too hard. HaHa. I knew then that it certainly appears to everyone else that I am a worker bee, and I am. I subsequently posted a pic of me in street clothes, because people say they never see me in anything casual. In high school I once went to pick up my books days before moving into the dorms, and days before the start of the school year. I called out to a teacher to say hello, and she proceeded to give me the “who the hell are you” look. Then she said, “Oh Chris, I didn’t know that was you. I’ve never seen you in jeans before. I’m so used to seeing you in school clothes.” School clothes meaning an oxford, khakis, tie, and dress shoes. Can’t a brother be about his business? Dang.

I don’t work all the time, but I don’t know if my mind ever takes a rest. Maybe it does because I don’t always remember what I dreamt of the night before. But here is what’s on my mind now:

So I told you all I’ve begun reading “Sometimes Rhythm, Sometimes Blues”, which is a book about the challenges which face African-American relationships. I’ve been wanting to read the book for months and months and months. Finally my cousin brought it over for me to read. I knew when I saw that Taigi Smith was the editor that it’d be a good read. Ever since reading the issue of Newsweek Magazine which talked about “The Black Gender Gap” I’ve become more aware of issues such as race, gender, and class and their effect on relationships. I guess there is a reason that I am pursuing a minor in Sociology. I love studying race relations, and this fall will take a class in gender studies a LoCo. Back on topic though now, “Sometimes Rhythm, Sometimes Blues” is one of those books which makes you want to sit down and take notes. I mean whip out the pen and the composition notebook. Ya’ll know the black and white one. I’m going to be talking about the book here on this here blog, as I read through it. Hell maybe it’ll get this reluctant writer over his self-proclaimed writers block. Ha I know that’s an unbelievable statement for those who also follow me on MySpace.

I’ll begin this series by sharing Taigi’s dedication to her book:

“I dedicate this book to those fearless enough to sing love songs while walking down the street alone: It is for those who dance to their own beats and love in a way that is soulful and real. These true stories are dedicated to those who love despite the odds, and most importantly, for anyone who recognizes that Black people loving other Black people is truly a revolutionary act.”

There is more to come, as this reading is perfectly timed. I’ve been reading the Washington Post’s series on “Being a Black Man” in this country, utterly fascinating, thought provoking, and much to meditate upon. This book in essence though three years old provides the balance to the Post’s reporting.

-CNEL

1 Comments:

At 5:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with the statement. Great minds do get bored and that is what leads them to try new things, make discoveries, and push what they know to be possible and what their limit is to a level much higher than expected.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home