Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Looking Back

Reflections on a Semester:
Though I am not done yet, but I'm oh so close.

I have two more finals left one Wednesday and Thursday : Sociology and Theology.....oh and all I want to do is listen to some Flo'Ology, LoL.

Well actually I've heard music featured at my high school's annual Gospel Choir concert bumping all day.

Some of my faves:

Turn It Around -Israel Houghton & New Breed
Take the Limits Off

Something Happens -Kurt Carr

Could've Been -Kirk Franklin and guests

But anyways back to regularly scheduled programming.

Over the course of the next few weeks, hopefully, I'll be able to reflect on the semester before I'm off to Italy.

Today's reflection:

This past semester one of my professors whose a very young looking 40 year old loved to talk to us about her life. She's not in the least self-centered, she's just shall we say, open with her life. At first I was a bit concerned about the way our discussions veered off in class, but then I realized that sometimes Ididn't really get what she was supposed to be teaching about anyway. So sometimes her sidetracking was of more use to me, than her lectures. One day I realized that her telling us about HER gave us unusual insight into who she is as a person. Learning about HER I believed might provide a look at the type of teacher she is, and that as we know might prove invaluable.The Doc is married to a lawyer and she has a daughter who is 8, and a 5 year old son.

Recently when discussing the women's rights movement she talked about gender formation, gender roles, and gender norms. She stopped for a moment and spoke specifically about gender roles. Her comments made me stop and think:"People have this big argument about should I buy a doll, should I buy a kitchen? You know we had all that. Jack played in the kitchen. A kitchen you know is where life happens. I have a friend who says, 'Boys aren't born into offices they're born into homes.'"

It kind of inspired me to once again look at cooking.

And to of course do some thinking about the signals we send young boys and girls, in my role as an educator!

1 Comments:

At 9:23 PM , Blogger Waddie G. said...

I see you really love gospel music...good for you, young man!!!

by the way, my favorite subject that ends in ology is flo'ology because I can enjoy it...LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home