Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Reading the blog of a friend of mine who wrote a post about being called out of her name, because some man's eyes strayed is far too typical. We always blame someone else, when we have to look at ourselves. I wonder why that woman didn't immediately turn inward and think if he'd disrespect me to my face, is this man I care about so much disrespecting me in other instances? Should I stay, or should I go, should not have even been a question. She should have known to walk away and demand more for herself. I am seeing too often that age old problem of a lack of self-esteem, a lack of self-love, and a lack of self-respect. In too many instances we point to the lack of success which is too often seen by black males, but I'm seeing the lack of self-esteem, the lack of self-love, and the lack of self-respect as being what could spell a decline in the success of black females.

I wrote the poem below because my grandmother was once a black girl, my mother was once a black girl, my twin sister was once a black girl, my aunts were once black girls, my cousins were once black girls, and many of my friends were once black girls.

So I hold you up, I lift you up, I raise you up, Black Girls.


Black Girl, Black Girl
by C. E. Nelson
Black Girl,
Black Girl
Your beauty rests in what is above your shoulders
Black Girl,
Black Girl
I cherish your mind, because my very existence was once a vision of your mind's eye.
Black Girl,
Black Girl
You look just like the queens who came before you.
Black Girl,
Black Girl
I honor you and the God you serve
Black Girl,
Black Girl
I learn to love by loving you.
Black Girl,
Black Girl
A diamond in the rough.
Black Girl,
Black Girl
Soon to be, no destined to be a Woman of Destiny, A Woman of Integrity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home