Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Monday, May 01, 2006

It's Time to Do That Grinding, No Not that Grinding

So classes ended on yesterday. Do you know how relieved I was? I mentioned that yesterday. How come all this relief is preceding finals? Part of me is excited about the future after next week. I will be a junior, well that officially happens when we say peace out to '06 on the 20th. I want to find a way to get a ticket to commencement, not because I have any real good friends in '06, but more because of the fact that Bob Costas is the commencement speaker. He's one of my fav personalities/interviewers aside from Charlie Rose, James Lipton, Ed Bradley and Bob Simon. But between now and then there is the business of finals, so that I know that I got 15 more credits, and can really be celebrating.

Today was a Study Day, though I did not do any studying. I slept a good nine hours off and on, but its the most sleep I've probably gotten in one night since winter break. I woke up and watched "The View", I'm not ashamed to admit that it's one of my fave shows of daytime TV. One I'm ashamed to admit but will do so here is "Passions", in my youth (during those boring summers) I watched "Passions". I was sad when the actor who played Timmy (the real life witch's human doll) died.

After watching the show, I hopped in the shower, and then hopped on a bus to downtown Baltimore. I had to go to the library to turn some books back in before they became overdo, and a burden to my wallet.

While downtown I stopped at the world famous Lexington Market. It's one of the oldest public markets in the country. I love it cause it has stalls with just about everything. When I'm there I generally grab a sandwich from the Mary Mervis Deli which has not one, but two stands side by side. I also stop and get a fruit salad from the Fresh Fruit Salad stand, that's what the sign says, I don't know if the stand itself has a name. I do know how to find it though (it's the second isle facing north south near the entrance to the market pavillion), if the very nice Asian woman who serves me with a quickness isn't there, then I forgo my fruit salad. I also stop and get my four for a dollar donuts either blueberry donuts or the 35 cent apple fritters will do. Those are my general eating habits. If I'm feeling like a true Baltimorean I will get a chicken box (I haven't been feeling Baltimorey, so it's been a while for that).
FYI: Chicken Box
Another popular Baltimore food item is the famous "chicken box". A chicken box is an inexpensive meal consisting of 4 or 5 fried chicken wings served in a fast food carry out box with some kind of starch as a side (i.e. mashed potatoes, fries, rice). The item is chiefly sold at independent fried chicken shops and delis in the city. Chicken boxes are usually enjoyed with "Half and Half", a drink combining ice tea and lemonade - referred to elsewhere in the US as an "Arnold Palmer".
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore
Or I will have a real crab cake. You can't get just any crab cake in Baltimore. If it's not Phillips at the Inner Harbor, or another established restaurante, don't risk it. If you're still at the market, it's Faidley's, that's where you go.

I love the market cause that's where you see people from all walks of life. While the beggars (our homeless people will run up on you), or the bootleggers (people who'll sell their momma's house from up under her) are rampant, that's real. You can also see your mix of the young and old, that's where I saw that cute baby girl with her daddy a few weeks back. You all see your professionals and the buppies. I saw some cute young women. Let me find out I need to intern back downtown and request hour lunch breaks to visit the market.

After the break, I headed back here to check my mail (nothing there sadly, mail makes me feel importante), head to the bookstore (need a gift for a departing former headmaster(principal), talking to a friend (she has constant relationship and friend problems).

Then it was off to work with the kiddies.

Then back here to watch Elizabeth Vargas cover up her pregnant belly. (I'll blog about that another day)

Then I was at the radio station for my last office hours of the semester. (I had wanted to avoid this certain co-worker. She's 25 and likes me, but homie is uh. I'll be nice.)

Then this is the kicker:
I went to the food court to get some food. So I walk up and get in line at the servers station. The short order cook makes eye contact, so I assume that means he's ready to take my order.

Though there are people in front of me, I think maybe they've already placed their orders. I place my order and I wait.

As I move forward in the line:
[Something is mumbled.]
Me: Oh yes I want fries.
The cook shoots me this befuddled look.
Me: Wait, what did you ask me?
Him: When do your finals start?
Me: Oh. [I laugh feeling stupid]. My finals start on Thursday.
Him: Are you from Baltimore?
Me: Yes.
Him: Where do you live?
Me: Oh, I live over east.
Him: Oh for real.
[At this point, I'm still thinking that this is innocent conversation. A lot of the school workers often make conversation with me, especially the younger ones. Some of them know that I'm from Baltimore. I think no biggie.]
Him: Where'd you go to school?
Me: I went to school in Owings Mills.
Him: You ever been to Milford.
Me: No I've been in private school since I was 11.
Him: Is that your girlfriend that be coming down here with you?
[I have none so instantly I think, who is he talking about? It could be one of my schoolmates, it could be my little cousin(though she's not light skinned).]
Me: Ummm. I don't know who you're talking about.
[I stand praying that he just hands me my food, so I can make like some eggs and beat it. (Corny but I'm trying to be witty, when I'm tired)]
Him: You don't know who I'm talking about?
Me: No, not really.
Him: You do have a girlfriend? A girlfriend that goes here, right?
Me: No, I don't... not that goes here, no.
Him: Ok.
[He hands me my food]
Me: Thanks
Him: Yeah, come by and talk to me sometime.
[At this point, I'm thinking that did not just happen.]

Oh lawd, please tell me that I will not be starving, due to this cook in the cafe coming on to me. Now do your bidness and all, but don't try to pull me, when I'm just trying to get food, and get my study on.

Between that ooogly coworker and him, I'm disgusted for the day.

Now it is time to get to this app I need to do, and then get on that work for finals!

Take care everyone, and we'll talk soon.

4 Comments:

At 4:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant believe our chicken boxes are s famous that Wikipedia is talking about it!!

 
At 9:49 PM , Blogger Waddie G. said...

congratulations on another college year passed, with flying colors, I assume...good luck with next year!!!

 
At 1:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is cool!

hey vote for Americas Next Top Model:

http://houstonny.blogspot.com/

 
At 4:41 AM , Blogger Jameil said...

i love chicken boxes!! you too good son?! that's what you sayin yo! lmao at the cafe worker!! that's hilarious!! i'm supposed to be going to commencement b/c my old roomie's graduating from grad school at loyola. thanks for all the food/ent. ideas!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home