Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

"Harvard Girl" A Story in Multiple Parts Pt. 7

That first summer I was back on the board she was about to be a senior in high school.

I was about to be a sophomore in college.

It turned out I was making a bigger deal out of everything than she was.

She could care less. She wasn't doing anything to me. She wasn't even thinking about me like that. I was driving myself crazy over her.

I would speak, make conversation, ask about school, talk about mutual friends, and be cordial. I treaded carefully as not to overstep any bounds.

Before summer was over. We'd once again have the chance to be alone. I'd once again see her shell soften.

After one of our board meetings, I was intent on bolting. I was going to take a walk around downtown and then head home.

"Chris where are you going?" she asked.
"Home," I said tersely.
"Oh," she replied.
"Why?" I asked.
"I was going to offer you a ride?"
Sheeeiiiiit. I ain't crazy.

Ya'll know I got happy. I won't deny that instant happy high, euphoria people, euphoria.

I had an in.

"Oh okay if you don't mind."

I hopped in the little Civic. The two of us made small talk from being new drivers, to everything from SATs to college choices.

Talk turned to high school, how stupid I was.

"Don't say that, I wouldn't change those times for anything," she said.

Before I exited the car, she would say three words that meant so much to me.

"Chris, I'm sorry."

There was no need to be specific. I knew what she meant. I knew then that at some point she had seen all my efforts for what it was.

Even though I had perhaps been too persistent, she knew enough to say those words, to smile, and to make me smile.

For those three words I remain grateful, I was atleast partly redeemed.

To be continued...

Coming soon...THE FINALE.

1 Comments:

At 9:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Chris you say im dramatic...i think not you got me beat...ACADEMY AWARD GOES TO....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home