Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

And let the church say... Pt. 3

Growing up my idea of what a minister should be like was shaped by none other than the late M.L.K. Jr.

It’s funny because I went to an elementary school named after M.L.K. and some of the other neighborhood kids went to a school named after Malcolm X.

When we learned about Dr. King at Dr. M.L.K. Jr. Elementary was that he was a minister as well as a civil rights leader. Often we’d see caricatures of him wearing a black robe with red crosses embroidered into the robe’s front paneling. When we watched videos such as “Eye on the Prize” teachers were sure to show video of him delivering passionate sermons.

It was in that light that I saw all ministers.

It’s not that I felt they had to be like M.L.K. It’s just that ministers in my mind were supposed to be multifaceted, multitalented, intelligent, articulate, focused, driven, passionate, and socially conscious leaders.

In response to my last post Epsilonicus said that some ministers are pulpit pimps. Apparently there’s an entire site dedicated to calling them out.

The Internet and the city of Baltimore are abuzz with allegations about one leader of the flock. Many say he had the makings to be a well respected religious and civic leader for the next generation.

Depending on what you read or who you talk to you get different stories.
a) The Reverend has a 7-year old daughter out a wedlock who he does not acknowledge

I searched the court records as some discussion boards suggest, and the records exist to support this claim.

b) The Revered got one of the members of his congregation pregnant

Word is he denied this in front of his own congregation.

Whether or not the rumors are true or not really doesn’t matter. The fact is that pastors and ministers are imperfect people. There are human just as those who look to them for preaching and teaching.

When they have missteps just as we do, they too need forgiveness.

I do think its important to have good shepherds who can help us grow in the word.

My biggest problem is when people’s deeds and creeds are different.

None of us are perfect, and we will also have to answer to the higher power.

I have a major problem with going into a house of worship and it’s not about praise and worship.
I have a problem when there’s more attention paid to how the church looks to the outside world, then what’s being done inside the walls to change lives, and help people on their walk of faith.

I just hope all is not lost, and that there are still some noble leaders out there.

2 Comments:

At 3:19 PM , Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

He sure did deny it. i heard it with my own two ears. but he did acknowledge that the out of wedlock kid happened before he got married, and that there was some drama with the mama and thats why he dont mess with the kid like that. *sigh*

It's a bit much for me.

I get the imperfect hing...but to me these are not imperfect sins. They're egregious and calculated and preventable. A mistake is dialing the wrong number by accident...not having a separate phone for your hoes.

*sigh*

 
At 1:12 AM , Blogger kathi said...

"I just hope all is not lost, and that there are still some noble leaders out there.", I know there is One, and because of Him, all will never be lost. :) Great posts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home