Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

So Yesterday

So yesterday I was the site coordinator for a student diversity leadership conference, which brought together about 70 students from independent schools from Delaware (I always spell that state wrong, its 2 a's and 1 E) and from Maryland. I think things went well.

The conference theme was "Desire, Discipline, and Dedication: Service through Leadership".

In addition to talking about the 3 D's to succeed and how they help leaders to be servant-leaders we discussed the core cultural idenitifers:

Age
Ability
Ethnicity
Gender
Race
Religion
Sexual Orientation
Socio-Economic Status

The only thing I forgot to clarify is this point about semantics. I hate the term minority, and when I refer to people of color not being the dominant group, I refer to them as being underrepresented. I think to say minority weakens the power of the group. I saw underrepresented primarily for two reasons 1) it empowers the group which needs to be empowered and 2) it allows for the possibility of change, and there's hope that people will be better represented.



Facilitating my last workshop on "Dedication".



"Listening to a McDonogh student give closing remarks for the conference".



"The "three kings" posing for a photo op."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home