Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Statute, Portrait, Naw Photo But Why?

As I said earlier in the week, today I had a photo shoot for an award I've been nominated for. Well I finally figured out, or was told rather what exactly this entails.

I'm going to be among several young men and women being recognized as inaugural "Future Leaders of Baltimore." Each year they're going to recognize 15 young people who are considered to be future leaders of Baltimore. We'll be included in an exhibit in the "Founders Room" at a new museum and memorial park being built here in Baltimore. The new museum and park is going to recognize Frederick Douglass and Isaac Meyers. While many know of Frederick Douglass. Not many know of Isaac Meyers, one of 15 co-fiounders of the first African-American shipyard in the entire U.S.

So it's quite the honor, to be included as part of the exhibit.

It's a little funny though because generally you have to be old or dead to be part of a museum.

It's also ironic that the fifteen founders were men, and I was outnumbered today 3-1 by female honorees.

Aiight, that's it. Wise Words tomorrow, have a good weekend.

Oh and my second to last radio show of the semester is tomorrow:

Chris Has Issues
Sunday, April 23, 2006
6pm-7pm
http://www.wloy.org/
Click Listen Now

Edited

I was going to let it go, but it's been on my mind something heavy. When I was down waiting to be let onto the grounds of the Foundation, who is organizing the new heritage site, other honorees showed up. It was drizzling and rainy, and so I had a hood on. So when another honoree, her mother, and little sister showed up they tried the gate where I was sitting, it wasn't open. Then they walked and tried to gain access through another entrance. When they couldn't get in that way, they had to come and wait with me. This woman gave me a look like I didn't belong, and her kids looked clueless. I mean just because I'm a black man in Baltimore, I shouldn't be judged to be up to no good. While I was getting my picture taken, the exhibit curator was talking about all the honorees. She must have talked me up something nights cause the parents were on my jock, yes the one that looked at me like I was bout to jack her included. Why do people judge people on first glance? What was funny to me is that the three African-American honorees there today were enrolled at some of the state's and regions best private schools (formerly in my case), and one fellow nominee and I received dual nominations. I mean that shut her up, but still, shouldn't have had to have my credentials read, for this woman to chill out. Aiight I'm done venting.

2 Comments:

At 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We gotta give it up to the young ladies of Baltimore!! Rep my hometown well CNel

It is sad that people assume that about us. Just keep working. One day it will pay off.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home