Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

And This Is What We Call A Breather

Current Mood: Exhausted

Currently Listening: Gospel Compliation Provided from Bootleg College Music Download Service
(Top Picks)

Patricia Jacobs- I Told The Storm
Marvin Sapp- You Are God Alone
Kirk Franklin- Looking for You
Israel and New Breed- New Season
Richard Smallwood- Total Praise

Today has been a long day. I woke up at 6:30, couldn't take a shower cause we had no hot water. I was a lil ticked. And so I'm thinking with tuition, room, and board at over $40,000 teachers got me up at 6:30, and the dorms have me with no hot water. I just was not ready for it, that early in the morning.

I left my dorm room at 7:45 without having not eaten breakfast to go and do a story for my News Writing Class. The other do-gooders mostly have on campus beats. Do I get extra credit for waking up early, spending my money, taking public transit (at peak time for the schook kids), and reporting on location. I doubt it, maybe this teacher of mine is the reason I don't want to write for newspapers. I know I want to be a journalist and all, but I am beginning to dislike writing especially for academia. That is sad for me to same I used to write, poetry, plays, short stories, and even called myself starting a book once.

I arrived on location around 8:45 am and conducted interviews with an administrator, and a slew of teachers. Here in Baltimore, we are in the midst of school closings and realignments.

When I think about that it reminds me of the base closings and realignments that some communities underwent not to long ago. Are we really a nation at war? I think so too. It would seem that it's an everyday uphill battle to get a quality education these days. So in essence we're fighting a war on more than one front. I spent over two hours conducting interviews and walking around this elementary school. School board members want to make the now kindergarten through 5 school, a kindergarten through grade 8 school.

Talking to those teachers reminded me of the plight of educators, but particularly urban inner city educators. I said at one point in my article, "Aside from being teachers, teachers must also serve as unofficial doctors, social workers, and psychiatrists." The stories I heard ranged from kids who are being cared for by grandparents, great-granparents, and other relatives, to students on house arrest, to students in the second grade charged with picking up younger siblings from school. Question: Why in the sam-hell should a 7-year-old, be picking up a 5-year-old from schoo? Are parents smoking crack? In some cases sadly the answer may very well be yes. I just have to pray for those kids.

I have mad respect for the teachers at that school. (Disclaimer: I'm an alum) But I was impartial as a journalist. I know about objectivity, fairness, balance, and accuracy.

It just reminds me that I have to continue to shine a light on stories which otherwise might not be told.

I knocked out the article already. I would include it, but I don't feel like copying and pasting it here LoL. Sorry I'm a little lazy right about now.

I have too much to do blah blah blah

Friday 8am Theology
9 am News Writing- Article is due in class.
10 am News Anchoring at Campus Radio-If I can find the time. I may be taking a personal day. Hey, I am the News Director.
11 am Art of Argument- I have to deliver a persuasive argument aka speech.

I'm in the midst of writing the speech on "Reparations" right now. Why I picked the topic one might ask? We were reading speeches, arguments, works from abolitionists, pro-slavery advocates, women's rights activistis, blah, blah, blah. I thought hey we're still in an unequal and unjust world. Why not write about reparations. I hope my argument is convincing and that I get a good grade. My Art of Argument teacher is a hard grader, and she didn't give me a high grade on my last and only assignment.

2:30pm Work with the little kiddies
6:00pm Off from work, going to play the Big Game. If I hit the lotto I'll be able to stop stressing.
7:00pm- 9:00pm Radio Station Office Hours

This weekend:
Saturday:

Photo Shoot for some award I'm receiving, I guess I should reread the letter about my nomination, so I know what I'm being recognized for. It's obvious they haven't seen my latest transcript LoL.

I'll be researching for this Sunday's show (www.chrishasissues.blogspot.com)
Listen in Sunday night 6pm-7pm at WLOY.ORG
I'll be completing a ridiculous amount of assignments for the last week of classes

Saturday and Sunday
Theology- Exam Prep any Extra Credit I May Be Able to Twork
News Writing- Reflection Paper/Final Paper (5 pages), Final Article Revision, Portfolio Compliation
Art of Argument- Ten Page Term Paper on Reparations (10-12 pages) (I do have the books from the library), Exam Prep
Sociology- Deneration Paper (4-5 pages) a look at American Society in 1975 through the eyes of my interviewee
Philosophy- Three 5 page reflection papers on stuff I have yet to understand in Philosophy

Sunday
More of the work from above
Laundry
Hosting My Shows

May 12 can not get here fast enough.

I might actually be over the nerves for Italy, cause whatever is involved it'll be a cakewalk compared to this foolishness.
Now back to blah!

3 Comments:

At 11:53 AM , Blogger Jameil said...

ok no. you are wearing me out. enough already!!!

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger Jameil said...

did you interview people at more than just your school? did you get some white folks? some people not considered "inner city?" i don't know about the make up of your school but i wanna see this article. part of being a reporter is about getting out of your comfort zone. excuse me. part of being a GOOD reporter is getting out of your comfort zone.

 
At 12:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should post the article. I would like to see it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home