Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I Maybe a Prep But I Am Not A Punk

I just had to let it be known that while I may be a bit preppy, I am not a punk. Some people are fooled by the clothes you wear, the way you talk, and your general demeanor, and those are the same people who will be surprised to know that you have another side. Well word to the wise I have another side. While I pride myself on being true to who I am, for being authentic, I like most people have my at home demeanor and my professional demeanor. Not to say that I'm not always charming, but you have a different type of charm when you're at work or in a professional setting and you're handling your business. This brings me to today's story:

A close friend and I are working on a project to get the black alums involved at our alma mater. Since we attended a private prep school it's a little bit of a challenge navigating what can be a very political world. You have to work hard to get what you need, when you need it, and how you need it. And anyone who knows me knows that I work hard no matter what.

Recently a miscommunication took place, someone thought I had done something that I hadn't in fact done. This got him a little ticked off, and so he sent me an e-mail which I perceived to be a veiled threat. Don't make threats to CNEL$ because that does not fly. Now I'm generally passive, and can let things go, but you never ever threaten me, attempt to intimidate me, or disrespect me. Because then the man that Yolanda Nelson raised will up and do it people. I almost up and did it. I almost went Baltimore on him (that's when Christopher gets a little less suburban (which is where I received my college prep/ boarding school education) and a lot more urban (where I was born and raised). Now not to say that I don't always carry myself well, but urban Chris has an edge, and can be well forceful and intimidating. It's who I am and I am unapologetic.

See how I handles mines:

Me: On a personal note I felt that the tenor and tone of your e-mail were accusatory in nature. L and I have not been complicit in any wrongdoing. I also feel that instead of contacting me for clarification you made a number of assumptions. The assumptions which were made I believe facilitated your misunderstanding of our actions.

Him: I apologize if I came across accusatory. I believe the whole situation may have gotten out of hand because of the miscommunication that you were working with the school...

Me: As a student at McD I worked tirelessly as a student leader inservice of others. I am still a very active supporter of the students, faculty, staff, and administrators still at the school. In short I have earned the admiration and respect of my fellow alums, current students, and the school's current faculty, staff, and administrators. I have a proven track record and I am well known for being courteous, mature, and professional in all my endeavors.

Him: I fully understand that; and I am sure you have a great reputation. (He better ask somebody)

Me: I would ask that as a courtesy to me you be a little more cognizant of the tone and tenor of your communications. While it is possible that I misinterpreted your comments I still don't feel that I received the proper respect due to me as an alumni of McD, as a professional, as a scholar, or as a young adult.

Him: I accept that feedback and apologize if I was too abrupt. I believe weare on the same wavelength now... (Mmm hmmm)

Later he wrote: The next time you are on campus, I hope you will come by my office ... so we can meet and make amends. Since you are attending Loyola, I assume (there he goes assuming again) you may have an opportunity to do that one day. You may want to call to verify my availability. Thanks!

People have got to learn when you assume you make an ass out of you and not me.

Until next time....this has been CNEL$ reporting from somewhere in Baltimore.

1 Comments:

At 6:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When people do not act right, there are consequences

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home