Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Faith Is ..."

Often, I debate my mother, maybe debate is the wrong word. From time to time my mother will make a statement, and I'll challenge it. Not to spark an argument. In some cases it's simply because I need amusement. In most cases because though it's because I sincerely disagree with whatever she said. We'll banter for a minute, she'll come to the realization she raised a strong willed, independent minded, and intensely passionate son, generally not one to really back down. Then the debate will be over.

So today she asked me about a story my station and every other station in Baltimore, and some national outlets are covering. A mother is accused of starving to death her young son. The mother isn't the only one charged in the death of the I believe two year old. Others are charged because the mother appears to have been part of some sort of cult.

I made mention of the fact that I believe it's dangerous to have blind faith, and to bear blind allegiance. I say this to mean completely blind without thinking critically, and challenging what is taught to make sure it's well reasoned, rationale, perhaps even moral and ethical. I haven't actively gone to church maybe since the end of high school, the beginning of college. I was raised and baptized Baptist and eventually for reasons, I haven't fully explored, I drifted away a few years back. I've maintained my spirituality. I've always been more spiritual than religious. I know that too much good has happened in my life for their not to be a force guiding my life. Outside of acknowledging my belief in a higher power, I sometimes get turned off by organized religion. Too me sometimes there's too much lacking, and not enough there. Sometimes what's most important the relationship between the individual and the higher power isn't emphasized. Then there are the small nagging questions, which then turn into larger nagging questions.

When reading Sidney Poitier's "Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great-Granddaughter" I was struck when Sir Sidney wrote, "So if, they say, you insist on giving God credit for the creation of the universe, then God should also be held accountable when horrors beset us."

I think Sir Sidney simply reminded me that faith is very personal. What you believe is what you believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home