Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Reporter's Notebook

So for those who don't know I'm interning wth the investigative unit of a local T.V. station.

Aside from researching, pulling tapes, just being a proverbial fly on the newsroom wall. I also from time to time accompany photographers who are sent out to get video for stories. Today the photographer and I were told to go to the scene of an alleged stabbing at a local high school.

When we arrived on the scene it was weird because we entered one of the school's parking lots which was near a gym. The students there didn't know anything about what was going on. Others told their friends to be leery of me and not to "snitch". I then had to make it clear that despite the blazer and tie that I'm a newsman not a policeman.

We drove around to other parts of campus. We still couldn't find out anything. Finally I got on the phone I called a friend, who told me to call a friend of her's. I got it confirmed that an individual had been stabbed inside the school, the alleged victim left campus of his own accord reported the incident to his mother, who then reported it to police.

Each time we tried to gather information from students they'd either say they weren't snitching or remind their friends not to snitch. I have to remember Baltimore gave rise to this:



I don't take for granted that people have to protect themselves, it's just disturbing that it starts so early. If people selectively silence themselves and refuse to speak up, just when will they stand up and say something. What will matter enough for them to speak up and speak out?

I just wonder if a culture is developing which will put more people at risk than are protected.

1 Comments:

At 7:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am lmao at these kids...i cant believe they on this snitching stuff...a mess

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home