Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Young, Black, and Male ...

So three days a week as soon as I finish my last Tuesday, Thursday class I hop a shuttle and head to my part-time job. For the last two and a half years I've been an after school counselor. Often one of my co-workers and I will remark that you can tell where certain children, get "it" whatever "it" is from. It's one or two of their parents.

So you know that just as with any other job working in childcare you can cross all kinds of people. Some momma's get on your damn nerves, some daddies get on your damn nerves. But you know atleast the kid has some kind of foundation.

I'm taking a Sociology course entitled, "Crime and Crimonology". Today we were talking about the demographics of criminals. We know that young, black men are disproportionately represented in the criminal justice system. So you know that turned to yours truly for my opinion. I said between private school and my mother, particularly the latter I knew I wouldn't a) be a criminal b)not be doing something productive c)be dead prematurely Lord willing*.

My teacher than remarked on what a difference parenting makes. I know it to be true. While some people screw it (parenting) up, atleast it gives kids a fighting chance.

That's why I don't know how I feel about the "Marry Your Baby Daddy" campaign brought to my attention by a friend.

http://www.marryyourbabydaddy.com/index.html

Hmmm.

Things that make you go hmmm.

3 Comments:

At 8:43 PM , Blogger Southerner in Suomi said...

I saw that crap a while ago and I don't agree. Cause if both of the parents are effed up and not married, that just means getting married will give that child a double dose of effed up ness.

 
At 11:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This gets on my nerves just because you have a baby by someone doesnt mean you two should marry them. I think that some people dont realize who they have actually laid down with. I agree with vdizzle it kind of screws the child up.

 
At 11:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marriage gives me hives!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home