Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Looking Back: The Internship Pt. 1

I arrived in Chucktown on May 12 around 7pm, CST.

I left Chucktown on August 3 around 8pm, CST.

My departure was just a week shy of three months.

I arrived back in Baltimore on August 4 at about 9:30am, EST.

During the course of the internship I learned a lot.

I reflected a lot about my choice of vocation.

Still I wonder if I've chosen a vocation where "my great joy" will "meet the world's great need."
I heard that in a speech by the Rev. Peter J. Gomes back when I was in high school. He said rather profoundly and articulately, "Vocation is where your great joy meets the world's great need." Those words have stuck with me over the course of nearly four more years.

It's wild because one of the first things I did upon arriving this morning was to text and call my friends to arrange a ride to one friend's "trunk party". Apparently that's the in thing to do, to buy a big trunk, to provide food, drink, and music, and to invite people to fill your trunk with school supplies and dorm essentials. Cool idea my loves, but I'm broke! :-) Seeing my babies (member of '07 a few of whom I had lunch with nearly everyday of their freshman year). It feels like I'm seeing my kids off. I've seen the young men and women grow, blossom, and mature. It's surreal they are about to experience for themselves all they've been asking me about over the course of the last three years.

It's ironic that often I'm looked to for advice when I'm really still trying to find my way.

My middle school's motto was to prepare us to be "men for others."

My high school's motto was 'to do the greatest possible amount of good.'
They wanted us to focus on doing that by providing a place where we found, "joy in work, in play, and in the discovery and realization of personal potential."

My college's motto is "Strong Truths Well Lived" in hopes that we'll all become "Men and Women For Others".

There's the opportunity to be a broadcast news producer, to be a broadcast news reporter, and the eventual possibility that I'll be entrusted to anchor a newscast.

Then there are my other passions which involve passions for education, law, and social justice.

I believe I'm headed in the right path. I do believe I'm being called to be a journalist to chronicle people's stories, and effect change in that way.

I do believe I'm beging called ...

2 Comments:

At 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to have you home my friend, glad to have you home.

 
At 11:47 AM , Blogger Jameil said...

answer it then homes. you can still help those coming behind you when you're trying to come into your own. we are constantly evolving. that means our previous experience can help those who are currently going thru it now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home