Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Looking Back : The Internship Part 2

Thumbs



Thumbs Up:

  • Proving to myself that I still have "it" : I take to heart what the fact that the bosslady said I have solid producing skills, and solid reporting skills. I also remember her saying, "You have presence. You look good, you have great teeth (W/E I def need braces), and a great smile." She also says my writing improvd a great deal over the summer.

  • Branching out : When I consulted J she said to do it. She told me to take the internship to inherit risks, but to focus on opportunity. She insisted I show that I can rock and roll in a foreign situation.

  • Reporting the news: Informing the public is a privilege as well as a responsibility. I enjoyed covering a variety of stories from the "See Your Soldier" videoconferencing between soldiers and their families, to the story about "Geocaching" a high tech treasure hunt.

  • Meeting Some Incredible People: There were definitely times where I wore by Bmore city mean mug. There were times when I got downright hood. But there were times when I smiled. On the drive back at smiled at some of the funnier moments. I smiled at all the notes I found in my pockets following one on one note pacing with Mimi especially when we co-produced. I smiled at where I woke up the morning of my 21st birthday, there's a story for the never to be begotten grandkids. I smiled at how Wilkey cried when we prepared to say goodbye. She recounted me calling her "Milkey Way". I was inebriated and Wilkey must have given way to "Milkey Way". I smiled thinking of catching up with my cuddle buddy.

Thumbs Down

THESE ARE GENERAL ONES THAT OTHERS IN THE INDUSTRY NOT JUST INTERNS I THINK ARE GENERALLY PRETTY UPSET ABOUT.

Lack of Pay: It's so not cool I made probably less than 1/6 of what I made the last three summers interning. Why am I not paid an amount commensurate with the work that I do or given my skill level.

Being Away From Family and Friends: Having to sacrifice and forego milestones. It's the second summer I've missed the high school graduation of many of my babies. I miss one of the two best friend's college graduations. I missed a lot of graduation parties.

Ridiculous Stories: Sometimes we cover straight up ridiculous stories. Other times we cover stories where you just wonder what the prevalence is to the audience.

Lack of Diversity: 3 African-Americans in a newsroom of 15 or so unacceptable.

*TIE

Location: Another reason the lack of diversity was devastating. We were an hour away from a city of 200,000 or more. We were 3 hours away from a city of more than 500,000. Yay for small towns they sustain the American way of life, but umm for college students who need the benefit of having a social life, that is almost cruel and unusual punishment especially for a city boy.

Lack of Cupcakable or Boolovable Girls: Dating in the workplace aka dating co-workers is tacky, I think. Dating one of the only other African-Americans even more tacky. But if you're going to spend most of your time somewhere, there can atleast be some eye candy.

1 Comments:

At 11:38 AM , Blogger Jameil said...

lmao @ boolovable. eye candy leads to trouble. it was only for a few weeks, kid. suck it up. hate to tell you but if you become a reporter after graduation, you will probably face every single one of your dislikes again. yay for someone following my advice!! you have some solid newsroom experience now that will be immeasurable!! let me tell you, it will help immensely when the time comes to search for a job.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home