Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Why I Love Black Women

A few weeks back I wrote on J's blog, that in some cases there are some women who like to buy shoes. Here exists a man who likes to buy books. Part of me thinks that it's due to a love of reading and writing. This love was fostered by my mom who brought my sister, my godsister, and I little chairs so we could pull ourselves up to a long brown wooden chest, which doubled as a desk. Early on we'd sit there scribbling, drawing, coloring. Early on we'd sit there reading, and us working away I'm sure would give my mother time to breathe, and time to read.

Last night I lay in bed reading Michael Eric Dyson's Why I Love Black Women, partly because it sits on my desk with notebook paper crammed inside. On the notebook paper are notes such as page numbers, quotes, references, names to research at a later date. It comes hours after I filled out a schoolmate's psychology survey which asked me about my preference towards black women or white women. It made me second guess myself and ask that question is preference sometimes very akin to prejudice?

As I read I listened to Jill Scott's "Experience Jill Scott 826 +". The track, track #4 it was entitled "Slowly Surely". I continue listening. At the end of another track Scott segues into a new song. She recalls her visits to radio stations, and hearing callers.

Jill (in a little woman/baby voice): I don't understand, I don't understand, you know Jill Scott is supposed to be so positive.

Jill (in Jill's matter of fact voice): First off, I never said that, (pause) we have this thinking that soon as we somebody with a natural they automatically positive. Come on, some days I am. Some days I'm not. Human. Anyway (sucks teeth). So (sucks teeth).

Jill (in a little woman/baby voice): They say, I don't understand you know she supposed to be so positive. Why she talking about fighting another sister in the street? That's just wrong. That's wrong.

Jill (in Jill's matter of fact voice): Well if they had listened to the lyrics in the first place they wouldn't have any questions. Try to tell a story: First verse: I come very lady like. Sister girl I know you don't understand but you goin' have to. Second verse: it gets a little more serious , sugar, honey, girl. I don't talk about whooping nobody's ass to the bridge. What? This song ain't even about whooping ass. What the song is about, what the song has always been about is principle. I told her once, I told her twice....third time. (Hooting and hollering of the audience).

Dyson writes lovingly of the influence black women yield. He focuses early on, on their prevalence when it comes to using words, and as it relates to religion and spirituality. Scott shows how sisters can wield power with their words, and with their very essence. Tis' one of the reasons I love black women.

3 Comments:

At 9:41 PM , Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

Books are a better investment in the long term

 
At 12:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with spchrist. And especially with the mood I am in, I prefer books over women.

 
At 10:55 AM , Blogger Jameil said...

plus we're damn sexy. don't listen to them. they are on the outs with their exes right now. that don't mean you gotta be, too. glad i'm hear to infuse you w/some hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home