Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Tying my Tie

It was so funny to me the other day when sharing the news of the internship offer I received with a friend, hearing her response. The internship which would be in Illinois, my friend said that would get me close to Oprah. It's so crazy how you say TV or even media and people's minds automatically go to Oprah. A meet and greet would be beneficial, I noted. Also we have a connection, Oprah once anchored in Baltimore, I've always lived in Baltimore. Though she did leave for Chicago around the time I was born, I'm still an Oprah fan.

Sadly I missed two great episodes of her show this week. On Wednesday she had Sidney Poitier at her Book Club dinner discussing his recent book which I've written about here "The Measure of a Man", and on Thursday she had former "Early Show" co-anchor Rene Syler talking about her mastectomy. Curiosity peaked my interest in the stories. Both lived with a certain dignity, but also with a certain humility. "The Measure of a Man" reminded me of the need to live a dignified life, but to also live with humbly.

When Poitier started "The Measure of a Man" he talked about the fact that as much as his parents were part of his blood, they were also part of his psyche. In his mind were the teachings of his family. His relationship to his parents and to his ancestors reminded him of his potential and his ability. That notion of our parents and our ancestors being our moral teachers, our character builders resonated with me.

It's atleast what I thought of this morning as I stood in my room tying my tie. Getting ready for an internship interview, I tried to throw my sexy on, though in reality it never leaves me. Ha. As I tied my tie I thought back to my grandfather's declaration that my mother "get that boy (me) a good education, cause he's not going get his hands dirty."

There was an irony in that as I stood wearing a baby blue shirt, a baby blue tie I am being groomed for a white colar lifestyle. As I tied my tie I thought to my grandad, or my uncles who had likely taught my mother to tie a tie. It was after all her who had taught me. It is one of those ties that binds, I am my mother's son. It's because of that that I'll never forget the sacrifices my mother has made, nor will I forget the things that she has taught me.

She's helped teach me the measure of a man, but to every day endeavor to be my own man.

1 Comments:

At 10:35 PM , Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

The tie that binds...i LOVE that cnelly. Great post, young man. i could SO see you doing this kind of radio spot. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home