Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

"I Think I Love My Wife"



So I saw the movie "I Think I Love My Wife" this weekend.

If you haven't already heard about the film. It's co-writer and director is Chris Rock. Rock is creator and executive producer of the already successful "Everybody Hates Chris." I believe it was Toure who called Rock the greatest comedian of his generation following in the footsteps of Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby and Eddie Murphy. His show "Everybody Hates Chris" is acclaimed because Rock like those who came before him, has been able to transcend the color line. He's been able to take issues which are part of the collective human experience, to poke fun at them, and to look at the truth of them. Isn't the saying, "The truth comes out in a laugh?"

For what its worth, I think the movie was well done. It was witty, it was funny, and it was smart. Some others loved it or hated it. It's not a raw as his stand up specials, and it isn't as water downed as "Everybody Hates Chris." To me its a happy medium. It's true to form in that it is honest, direct, blunt, yet comical.

The story revolves around Richard, a married investment banker. Richard has fathered two children Brian and Kelly, and after seven years of marriage (the so-called "seven year itch") he wonders if he still has that connection to his wife. His wife Brenda whose a teacher is obsessed with maintaining house and home so Richard gets no sex. At a time when Richard is obsessed with the buddy and the booty, what wives in his mind are supposed to epitomize, enters an old buddy. And the other woman, because there always has to be an other woman, right? Right. The other woman, the oh so fine, Kerry Washington. She's the temptress who causes Richard to think hard about his love for his wife. As expected she puts Richard into a scenario where he almost loses it all. At one point his boss tells him, "You can lose a lot of money chasing women, but you'll never lose women chasing money."

"I Think I Love My Wife" is a story about having it all. It's a story which causes one to think about those things which matter most. What will give me contentment, what will give me fulfillment? What is more important pure unadulterated joy or pleasure? It's about the true love experience, and where it is gained. It's about true love, and whether you give it to yourself, or whether it's given to you by someone else.

The movie was good. It gets two thumbs up from me. Go see it for yourself, don't just take CNEL's word for it. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home