Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

This Is Getting Ridiculous

Okay this is getting ridiculous. On Sunday night I hosted my weekly radio show Chris Has Issues (www.chrishasissues.blogspot.com or www.wloy.org ), you've got to love the plugs. On the program I talked with Tracy Sanna, a student volunteer who is involved with community service work here at Loyola College in Maryland through the college's Center for Values in Service. We were discussing Tracy's involvement with Care-A-Van (a program where students make sandwiches and distribute them to homeless individuals in downtown Baltimore). We also discussed how the city stopped Loyola from distributing the sandwiches because they didn't have running water, and because of a new city ordinance which required that the college have a license to do so. We first learned of the issue about two weeks ago. So imagine my surprise when I read in the paper today(click on the title of this post for the link to The Sun article) and saw that the issue has not been resolved. Now the paper is saying that the students though they are acting independently of the college are still breaking the law. It's winter for goodness sake, and one homeless man has already died, it is believed due to hypothermia. So instead of allowing these young people to distribute sandwiches and hot chocolate, the students may very well be threatened with the possibility of arrest the next time they do so. I for one am very much upset. Given that the services for homeless people in this city, and many cities across America could be a whole heck of a lot better, I can't quite understand why the city would be actively engaged in trying to stop anyone from assisting those who are disadvantaged. It strikes me as being a questionable practice. Now I know that at the heart of a health ordinance is a desire to protect the well-being of all involved, but shouldn't more of an effort be made to help the students get the appropriate means to continue their good works. As a student at a Jesuit institution for the second time in my life I understand that the Jesuits work hard to compel students to become compassionate individuals committed to becoming "men and women for others." Living in the times in which we live there is a definite need for servant leaders, for people willing to work hard to assist others. I am embarrassed as a voter and as a taxpayer (eh I could do without that duty) that the city government has not worked to rectify this issue. It's not just the job of the police to protect and serve, but of the whole government, to protect, serve, and guard the best interests of the people, and not just some of the people, but all of the people. I'm about to take another break from my final exam prep and write a letter to the powers that be asking that they address this issue on behalf of citizens who do in fact care about the well-being of others.

In a season of giving, I hope that we could give more hope than despair to those in need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home