Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

A Busy Week

It's been a very busy week. I think I'm finally adjusting to a jam packed schedule. In addition to five classes, I also work part time as an after school counselor, I anchor at the college radio station, and I volunteer at my old high school. It's amazing how life can change over the course of a year. A year ago, it was off to class and then to hibernating in my dormroom. It was very difficult to live with the fact that I hadn't ended up at Howard University or Temple University. Howard was my dream school from the time I was 10, I had counted on becoming a Howard Bison. In the event that I couldn't go to Howard, I had planned on becoming a Temple Owl. Both Howard and Temple are great schools with great communications schools. Loyola was my third choice and it has a great communications program with some outstanding faculty, but still I became disturbed by the fact that LoCo is in my hometown of Baltimore. After attending a five-day boarding school for four years, I was ready to fly the coop. I earned acceptance to each of my top schools, but then the question became what would me and my family be able to afford. I was unwilling to mortgage my future by taking out massive student loans, and instead I chose to go where a school was able to invest in my future. Now I find myself ten minutes away from home, fifteen minutes if there is any traffic, and I'm learning to live with that fact. My first year wasn't good in the least, but I learned recently that I have to capitalize on some missed opportunities.

Over the summer I had a lot of time to put things in perspective, Loyola is a good school, and I am fortunate to be here. I realized that it's not about where I am but instead it's about where I'm going. I've already overcome so many obstacles and so many odds. Being the child of a single mother, who was once on welfare, I have a great appreciation for the power of education. I know that with education, with an appreciation of knowledge, and with acquired wisom I will achieve, and I will make my dreams a reality.

It's easy in the craziness of everyday life to remember to live our lives intent on becoming who it is we want to be. I always remember the words of two people Tavis Smiley and Samaria Graham. Mr. Smiley said, "You can live for a cause or you can live just because" and Ms. Graham said, "Live your potential and not your circumstance." With those words to remember, and an understanding of who I am and whose I am, I am sure that my good days will become much better days.

It's fall break and I'm sticking around campus, HaHa no need to go home, when I'm already there. Maybe I'll get ahead on some work.

Have a great end of your week, everyone.

-Christopher aka CNEL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home