Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Interview Pt. 2

"Cnel pull your skirt down! Don't be scurred, lol."

So La has joined J in riding me.

I'm pulling down "my skirt" La, you happy?

1. What is your strangest and most irrational fear?

My strangest and my most irrational fear, huh. Well in reality it isn't too strange or very irrational. It's rather instinctive, most people at some point during the course of their will feel the same way. I have a fear of not being successful, and of not reaching my full potential. By success I mean contented with my life both personally and professionally. By full potential I mean not helping others to make progress in their lives. I'm a big believer in the idea of the servant leader. Any profession I devote myself to, will have to allow me to be a servant leader. I was thinking not too long ago about something my first love once said to be me as I groaned and moaned about obstacles I seemed to encounter. She told me I was the only person in my family and amongst my friends who doubted that I be successful. She was right because I have always been called capable, ambitious, enthusiastic, intelligent, professional, a real go getter. Doubting is a way of minimizing expectations but I know to truly be great I can't minimize my expectations or lessen my standards for myself or those in my life.

2. Above all else, what 3 qualities would a girl have to possess to be Mrs. Cnel? ONLY THREE DAMMIT

Uh I don't know about a Mrs. CNEL. Uh marriage, the thought, uh, it makes me queasy.

Authentic - true to her, true to me, true to us
Honest- candid and open
Loyal- devoted

3. Who would play you in the story of your life and why?

At first I thought Hill Harper cause he's a "Renaissance black man" an actor and a lawyer. Then I remembered Harold Perrineau who played in "The Best Man", "Prison Song", and on the T.V. series "Oz". He has a certain presence, and a unique versatility which I think would be needed to play me and show my evolution as a person.

4. What made you wanna go into your field?

Honestly from age 10 to 17 I thought I'd be the next Thurgood Marshall. I have always had a passion for equity and justice. My mother and my teachers always encouraged me to study African-American history, and to think critically about our evolution as a people. I always thought that going to Howard and following in Marshall's footsteps would allow me to be one of our advocates for the 21st century. Then one day I sat at home and watched this teen news show. I thought to myself I can do that, and I went for it. I realized that journalism combined so many of the things I felt I wanted to do with my life. Journalists are intellectually curious, bold communicators, and brilliant thinkers. As members of the fourth estate they have the job of ensuring an open and honest society where equity and justice prevail. Also, they chronicle people's histories, and add context to what goes on in our lives. I have always appreciated the fact that T.V. allows journalists to engage and enlighten an audience, so I turned to broadcast journalism.

5. How do you think your life would be different if your dad had been around?
Honestly, I have no idea. I don't know if it would have been a good thing or a bad thing. A mentor once said to me the best thing he ever did for me was to leave. I think she meant to say that I have been allowed to become my own person, free of any overbearing influence. Though I'm still evolving, though a self-professed mama's boy I will when all is said and done be my own man.

2 Comments:

At 2:05 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

thanks! because nobody wants to see those skinny legs. lots of people are afraid of success (me too). its making sure you don't let the fear paralyze you. i love hill harper. she probably meant your father had his own issues that probably would've jacked you up far more had he stayed.

 
At 11:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

So once again I love your writing!! I'm so jealous! LOL. But i love your answer to what you look for in woman...very great!!

Your Very Brilliant!!
( I hope i spelled that right)

M.C.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home