Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Well It's About Time

CBS Confirms Katie Couric Anchor Deal
By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
NEW YORK - On her 15th anniversary on "Today," Katie Couric told viewers Wednesday she's leaving NBC to join CBS, where she will become the first woman to anchor a network weekday evening newscast alone.

"I wanted to tell all of you out there who have watched the show for the past 15 years that after listening to my heart and my gut — two things that have served me pretty well in the past — I've decided I'll be leaving 'Today' at the end of May," she said. "I really feel as if we've become friends through the years."

Okay so when I got the news this morning while sitting in my News Writing class I was excited. I think it's about time that a woman is given a shot news desk. If we've come so far in our development as a society, what is wrong with a woman delivering the news? If women can do almost everything else, then why not this?

My co-anchor on the campus television show which we just started this semester has gotten sick and tired of me talking about women and broadcast news. Why? Because I have had a lot to say on the subject.

I think ABC is doing itself and Elizabeth Vargas a disservice by constant talk of a co-anchor while Bob Woodruff recovers from injuries he sustained while covering the war in Iraq. Why is it a disservice to ABC and to Vargas? The constant talk of her ineptness, constantly questioning her skills, questioning her experience, and questioning her ability to effectively report the news, hampers her ability to do the job. If they didn't feel she was capable and that she brought a lot to the table why in "Sam hell" did they give her the job? If the shoe were on the other foot, I doubt they'd even question giving Woodruff the seat solo. It's about time that people stop thinking of newswomen as just pretty faces. They are women and they do play other roles in our society. The fact that Vargas is a woman and that she is pregnant shouldn't be held against her. It didn't stop Tom Brokaw or Peter Jennings from being husbands and fathers. How came Katie can do it, Diane can do it, and Elizabeth can't? I wonder if the suits are asking themselves that question.

As I said I am excited about the prospect of having Katie Couric join CBS. I think she's done a great job as co-host of "Today". There's no doubt that there are major differences between hosting a morning show, and hosting the evening news. I think that if anyone can make the transition it's Katie Couric. I admire her, and the path her career has taken. She's a phenomenal journalist, and has done so much in her career. If anyone who aspires to succeed in the broadcast news business wants a reality check, they need only to read up on her story. To have so many people tell you can't do something, and to go and do it anyway. That in my opinion is what life is all about. Life is about daring to dream, taking the risk, and as she herself said following your heart and your gut.

At the end of the day all journalists respect the fact that the job we have is to present the news, to give the information, and let people reach conclusions and judgements on their own time. In broadcast you have a different dynamic, you first have to convince people that you're the right news source. I could sit back and say it's all about the news, not the anchors, not the reporters, not the producers, but who would I be kidding? Broadcast news is one of the most competititve team sports there is, and at the end of the day someone is cheering and someone is tearing, and that's the way it is, on April 5, 2006.

P.S. Big shot out to the Lady Terrapins, my Lady Vols didn't make it to the final game, but I love em still. But that was a game last night. The Lady Blue Devils didn't loose it, Maryland won that game. Those young women played their hearts out, and left it all on the floor. That's what it's all about.

2 Comments:

At 1:07 PM , Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

If I was actually home in the evenings to watch television this would be a bigger deal to me.

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

I used to love Katie Couric. But as I've had more of an opportunity to watch her on a regular basis, I don't think she will be able to deliver the evening news. It is very hard to go from a light, fluffy morning show, often with ridiculous topics, to an evening show, which you have admitted.

My main problem w/Katie is as you stated "the job we have is to present the news, to give the information, and let people reach conclusions and judgements on their own time."

She doesn't do that. She injects herself in every story. Well I think... anyway... I think. Sometimes its more like the Katie show and she's telling us more about herself than anyone else. Of course you know I believe women can and will do as much as any man in journalism, but I will not celebrate that if I don't think its a good fit. If she bombs and falls flat on her face, it could potentially do many other women a disservice. But that's neither here nor there. Time will tell how she will perform.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home