Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Words of Others

I'm very cautious about whose advice I solicit, and even more cautious when accepting unsolicited advice. Worrying only about my own standards, my own goals, and my own objectives makes life a lot easier to live.

Yesterday while standing on the bus stop, I had a conversation with a random woman. She noticed that I had waved to a shuttle driver, and to a fellow student.

"You go to Loyola?"
"Yes, I do."
"What are you studying?"
"Communications."
"You know what you want to do with that?"
"I want to be on television, I want to be a reporter."

She then talked to me about some of the local stations, some of the local talent, and some potential places I might want to intern.

"Where'd you go to high school?"
"McDonogh."
"After going there you could have gone anywhere."

Then I explained to her the factors that went into my decision.

"I had wanted to go to Howard or Temple, Loyola was my third choice. They gave me the most money and I figured if they were willing to invest in me, I could bite the bullet and stay in Baltimore."

We talked more about my experiences, my career objectives, and where I might want to live. Discussing my college experience with her made me meditate as I often do on the "What if?"
What if I had gone to Temple?
What if I had gone to Howard, my dream school?

She told me about her goddaughter who'd gone to Temple and not Spelman, and her daughter who'd gone to Michigan State, which is so far away from her home in Baltimore. She talked about how the decision for her goddaughter had been difficult. She talked about how her daughter knew she was doing what was best for her.

"You're where you need to be. Everything happens for a reason. You're right where you need to be."

Those were words I couldn't take with a grain of salt. It was refreshing to be reminded why optimism is so very important!

3 Comments:

At 8:01 PM , Blogger Waddie G. said...

some advice are meant to go in one ear and out the other, especially those people who are trying to be so self-important

 
At 4:15 AM , Blogger Jameil said...

"You're where you need to be. Everything happens for a reason. You're right where you need to be."

i know that's right. let me tell you how i ended up at hampton. i applied and wanted to go b/c i'd visited several times. my mom is a hampton alum. i also applied to carolina, but late, so i was wait listed. but i didn't see the card that i was supposed to send back to them if i was interested in being kept on the waiting list and notified if there was an opening. so i didn't send it.

and hampton and carolina (sorry, the university of nc at chapel hill. i forget that confuses non-nc peeps) were the only schools i applied to. my mom wouldn't let me apply to howard b/c i didn't want to go. she was like, that's a waste of money (true). so i said, well i guess i'll go to hampton.

i knew i made the right decision before i even graduated. i was surrounded by white people who didn't respect me despite the fact that i was in ap classes and had some of the best grades. i knew i needed to be surrounded by black people for the first time in my life. at hampton i found one of the best journalism schools, lifetime friends, the bf, and truly an education for life. i can't imagine feeling so at home anywhere else. so there's absolutely a reason i didn't see that card until it was too late.

 
At 10:21 PM , Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

How's this for some more unsolicited advice: Always remember, "There are no coincidences in life."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home