Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Just "Be Cool"

So as SChrist pointed out on his blog ESPN's Danyelle Sargent caught some flack, when she actually cursed on the air. The link below should work. An ESPN suit is coming into one of my classes next week, so I think maybe I'll ask if he had a role in the damage control. They reportedly convinced YouTube to take video of the incident down, and YouTube posts everything, so that's interesting. As someone who has worked in broadcast I can see how the mistake could be made, it's in the eyes of the suits inexcusable, but it is an honest mistake. Just like people have conversations with their co-workers, anchors and reporters do the same thing. Granted our conversations are no longer public, and we open ourselves up to a lot more scrutiny, we still are just regular people. LoL I love watching the bloopers and outtakes. I have some stories of my own from my short career, and I'm sure there will be many more to come.


http://ds2.thatvideosite.com/download.php?id=1794&filename=espn_what_the_fuck_was_that.wmv&filesize=2857962

It does interest me however that more people probably know Sargent's name now than before. It'a also interesting to see the type of criticism she received. Most messageboard comments I read questioned her skills, and asked whether she'd gotten where she was solely on looks. Its sad that obviously double standards still exist. When I first say Sargent on ESPN News last year I was curious as to who the sister was. Female sportscasters are still somewhat rare, successful female sportscatsers on a national level are even more rare. But glad to see a sister is holding it down.

Then there was this video from CNN HLN yesterday. Apparently some sort of cable caught on fire inside the studio, while they were during a live newscast. Linda Stouffer gets mad props for trying to continue doing the news, despite the disruption. One of my idols Fredericka Whitfield who handles weekend anchoring duties on HLN's sister network CNN once said, "If the set is falling, lights are falling, camera goes down," an anchor should "just be cool." Stouffer tried to hold it down, until her co-anchor Chuck Roberts wisely sensed the situation could be too dangerous and said, "We're out of here."


http://youtube.com/watch?v=_NXASAv0klA


When I make it to the chair I hope I get someone as professional as either Stouffer or Roberts sitting next to me. It helps when you know the person next to you is both capable, competent, and committed to getting the job done!


LoL can ya'll tell I watch a lot of TV news. I'm already writing my acceptance speech for when I get that Emmy, that Murrow, that DuPont, that NABJ award. LoL, a little premature? MMMM. Nawww. I'm going get it!

2 Comments:

At 8:41 PM , Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

Sounds like you're already well on your way, shawty! Just holla if you need a cute producer. ;)

 
At 11:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And when you get it, ima be right there saying..... I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home