Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

One of My New Favorite People

Currently Listening: Anthony Hamilton
Ain't Nobody Worryin'
The Truth
Currently Feeling: Excited for 4:30 when I have some time off, though Easter Break will be spent catching up on some work I kind of neglected in the hustle and bustle of the semester.

Okay so last night I had the privilege of attending a lecture by B.D. Wong aka Dr. George Huang from "Law and Order: SVU", Father Ray Mukada in "Oz", yadda yadda yadda. (Click on the title of this entry for his bio). Wong was here to speak as part of LoCo's Asian American Heritage Month. It was also great because he also talked about sexual diversity, which is something that the college is also focusing on this month. Let me just say, Wong is the man.

I entered the lecture about 20 minutes late because of having to work with my little rugrats, but it was all good. When I entered the hall, Wong was already well into his lecture. Immediately I was drawn in by his charisma, his charm, his openess, and his honesty.

His talk centered on his being a 3rd generation Asian American. He talked about his parent's heritage, their upbringing, and his upbringing. His parents he said, "lived an All-American life during the daytime, but their home life was distinctly Chinese." Through his living in San Fran's Chinatown he learned that the culture of Chinese Americans demanded that you be "doing everything for your family, every action for your family."

Of his overall childhood and upbringing he said, "Somewhere between 4 and 17 we figure out who we are. I was discovering my sexuality...there's nothing mystical about that." Wong's quest to be satisfied personally was impacted by his own thinking, his interaction with his parents, and with larger society. "Culturally my childhood was complicated by my relationship with parents and my relationship with myself."

Wong said early on he recognized his distinctiveness. He said of himself that he was "a creative force" and not necessarily an "intellectual." He spoke of how he reveled in the attention afforded him as a little boy, because he was the only boy who enjoyed performing in everything from church plays to the school choir. His artisitic nature, wasn't readily accepted by his family. Wong later commented, "My parents played the whole doctor, lawyer game with me. You know doctor, lawyer. You know you can even be a foot doctor."

Wong knew he wanted to be an actor. His parents allowed him to study it in college and supported him as he pursued his dream. It wasn't what they wanted necessarily, but Wong knew it was what he wanted.

A lot of what Wong said focused on the search for one's self, trying to find one's true self, without conforming. While it seems a bit cliche, it was interesting to note how his experience relates to that of other people of color. It would seem that at times we are all faced with our own desires, our family's desires, and what the world desires for us.

Wong relayed how he searched for his passion. That passion being acting. He relayed how he searched for who he was as a man, and how he to reconcile his desire with the knowledge that he was a Chinese American man. He also discussed how he arrived at the realization that yes he was a gay man. He talked about being at peace with who he was, as a person, as a whole person. "I'm particularly grateful for in my own lifetime having to be able to figure out who I am."

This reminds me of how much of a journey we are all on. Wong said of this critical time in the lives of the students there, You are at a "juncture between completed dependence and independence. It can be difficult, liberating, scary, important, and non important."

How true that is.

Good to see that Wong has been so successful in his personal and professional lives. He's a father, he and his partner had twins one of whom is surviving and thriving, he has a good relationship with his family. He's done a great job on SVU, he's written a book, been an accomplished speaker, and Hollywood seems to love him.

Like I said, Wong is the man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home