Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Monday, November 14, 2005

I'm Mad As Hell

I'm mad as hell I had to read this essay (it's excerpted) and comment on it for my class. Almost anything is considered academic these days. If I used this much grossity (I know not a word), but parts of this mess just made one think gross, and if I cursed this much umm no I wouldn't, well not on paper. I'm sitting here reading this, mad, thinking WTF. Mmm Iono this paper just made me mad for some reason. OK this may be my most random post as of yet, but OK, back to reviewing other's essays and writing up comment sheets.

Fanboy
“That…that’s just fucked up.”

“No John,” I put the Superman comic back on the shelf with the others, “no I don’t.”
“To hardcore for you? You are a little girl and all so you’d probably prefer a lesbian scene between She-Hulk and Storm, yea that’s definitely more your style.” “What?”
“Fanboys, the correct term is Comic Book Fanboys.” He says dead seriously.
~
Fanboy or Fanboi is a term used to describe someone who is utterly devoted to a single subject or hobby, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. The term originated in comic book circles, to describe someone who was socially insecure and used comics as a shield from interaction, hence the disparaging connotations. Fanboys are often experts on minor details regarding their hobbies, and they take these details extremely seriously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy
~

“When you said Iron Man shouldn’t be allowed on the Avengers because he was in Vietnam and everyone knows every guy that was in Vietnam had, how did you put it, propositioned at least one underage Vietnamese boy.”
“Oh come one you know they got sick of reusing the same young girls all the time.” John smirks, “It’s one of those known but unacknowledged secrets everyone knows, like when someone farts at the dinner table and tries to play it off as the seat cushion.”
I stand across from him dumbfounded; I finally speak after a few seconds.
“Ok one, you’re a retard, two, that’s not true, three, I’m dumber for having heard you say that, and four, lets say that if its even out there somewhere in the realm of possibilities, which it’s not, what would it have to do with a comic book character that saves and protects America.”
A comic book is a magazine or book containing the sequential art in the form of a narrative. Comic books are often called comics for short. Although the term implies otherwise, the subject matter in comic books is not necessarily humorous, and in fact its dramatic seriousness varies widely. The term "comics" in this context does not refer to comic strips (such as Peanuts or Dilbert).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book
~

“Maybe.” I pause and think for a second, “Ok yea I’d say that’s true if you want to My God John, that was so deep of you.”
“Ya I know, I’m a kick ass superhero.”
~
A superhero is a fictional character who is noted for feats of courage and nobility, who usually has colorful name and costume and abilities beyond those of normal human beings. Since the definitive superhero, Superman, debuted in 1938, the stories of superheroes - ranging from episodic adventures to decades-long sagas - have become an entire genre of fiction that has dominated American comic books and crossed over into several other media.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_hero
~

“That’s it, I should do a comic book about me. John The Kick Ass Superhero. I know you’d buy it.”
“Just to see what kind of stupid stuff you do it. Plus you could never use that title.”
“Why not? Cause ass would be on the cover?”
“No the word Superhero, it’s joint trademarked by Marvel and DC.”
“Bullshit.”
“Swear to God man, decades ago they fought over who owned it and neither could get rights so they just filed for a joint trademark to fuck over everyone else in the world from using it.” I walk a few feet away from the counter and pick up miniature statue of Thor.
“Fucking Marvel, making superheroes a not-word for everyone else in the world.”
I look back at him, “Are you really going to start using the word not-word. Plus why you gotta do that? Go straight for Marvel like that, I mean DC is as much to blame also. You always gotta hate on them.”
~
Marvel Comics, NYSE: MVL (AKA Marvel Entertainment Group, Marvel Characters, Inc., and Marvel Enterprises, Inc.) sometimes called by the nickname The House of Ideas, is an American comic book company. Its best-known comics include The Fantastic Four, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, and X-Men. Since the 1960s, it has been one of the two largest American comics companies, along with DC Comics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Comics

“Jesus,” I look down at my watch, “it’s 7 already, how long have we been talking about this.”
“No idea, this is how all my days go.”
“What even got us started on this?”
“Fanboys.”
“We need a life.”
“I,” John points to himself, “got a life.”
“Being twenty five and working forty plus hours a week at a comic book store while living with an English teacher girlfriend who is way to good for you and always reminds you, is not a life.”
“Well it’s my life.”
“True, can’t take that from you.”
“Damn straight, I love it.”
“That you do.”
“Come on it’s a good life.” John stands getting ready to give a monologue. “I mean come on, I wake up at ten everyday to start work at eleven, I spend my entire day talking about my favorite thing in the world. I mean come on, I know it and you know how great comic books are, it’s everyone else in the world who is missing out. They just write this shit off as kid’s stuff because it’s what they superficially believe. I mean Jesus, comic books are one of the fix or six original American art forms, it’s just under appreciated and acknowledged. I mean thankfully today because of the movies people are taking notice but honestly that’s sad it has taken so many decades and exposure through other mediums for them finally to be acknowledge and accepted. So that’s what I like about my life.” John puts the lollipop back in his mouth. “Plus I go home to a woman way to good for me every night that lets me put it in her butt.”
“Way to make good points and invalidate yourself at the last second.”
“It’s what I do.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home