Impossible is Impossible

This blog is my way of reflecting upon life. Life is about living and learning. As I live and learn I’m going to reflect upon this life I lead. Hopefully I'll offer something insightful with my postings. If you learn nothing else from me, know this that “impossible is impossible”.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

I Hate Hate Hate Packing

So I survived the Thanksgiving Holiday:

I really just chilled (saw family, finished watching my collection of "The Wire" on DVD, read through a pile of articles I'd printed off and wanted to read, conducted some interviews for a radio station project, tried my best to get over my crush on A.C. and despite the best of intentions I probably gained some dreaded lbs). I got my turkey salad sandwiches thanks to my mother, but I didn't get my apple pie. I'll handle that when I return from Seattle next week, apple pie is an all the time food, an American staple .

It's official I hate packing for trips because I'm never quite sure of what to pack. I've said it repeatedly that I'll get all Banana Republic when it counts, when I'm looking for the first job, until then I plan to scoot on by.

This year and the last few months in particular I've made nearly one trip a month to places which require me to board a plane.

So I'm off to this conference in Seattle tomorrow, and an e-mail I get tells me to bring two outfits which would classify as "cocktail attire" and I start to panic. First, I Google cocktail attire, cause I'm thinking nice shirt, nice slacks, and blazer, and some sites agree, and others say suit. Do I look like I feel like wearing a doggone suit? Is it that serious? When I think "cocktails" I think shouldn't even be there, cause I can't even drink legally. Having worn a school uniform for the first nine years of my educational career, having to wire a shirt, tie and slacks for the next four years during high schools, means I now love any moment I can dress down, which in college means all the time. I own like an untold number of jeans which suit me just fine. I'm a jeans and shirt kind of guy, and I spice it up when need be.

Also add this little dilemma to my headache. You see the day I headed home for break last week, I nearly burned down by dorm. My closet has two shelves for storing things and then a poll for hanging things. I was taking stuff out of the closet, and mistakenly let my comforter fall onto the light bulb. I did smell something burning but assumed something had spilled into the oven, and that someone was cooking. I walk over to the closet for something else, and I'm like "OH Sugar Honey Iced Tea" my comforter is burning!" Then I pull it out of the closet, drop it on the floor, and stomp the remaining flame out, and trash it. But there's this pervasive smell which I hope doesn't permeate my clothes. I don't have time to wash everything I'll need for the trip. Maybe I'll spray some Febreeze and keep my fingers crossed, and say one of my all the time silent prayers.

Oh and someone remind me to get a subscription to Details, GQ, or one of them magazines, so I can get a clue as to what colors look good on me. LoL. I used to be good at this when I had to be daper on the all the time basis, maybe I've gone too casual.

Also,please pray with me that 1) if it does snow in Seattle it doesn't stop me from making it there on time 2) the holiday travelers utilize the airport before or after my flight.

2 Comments:

At 3:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy Seattle! Take a lot of pictures and flirt with some women.

 
At 2:56 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

damn i wish i was there to tell you what to wear!!! lol. i did some guy fashion rules on the record dish a while back. if anything says cocktail or more, go with suit. better to be slightly overdressed than underdressed. if its black tie, go with a tux, if you can't do that, the darkest, sleekest suit you can find. very tailored.

i don't mind packing. its the unpacking that confounds me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home